Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians
Job Title: Economic and Business Development Director
Department: Office of Finance & Revenue
Reports to: Tribal Council
Salary Range: $69,573 to $94,128
Open: February 27, 2019
Closes: Open Until Filled
SUMMARY: The Economic and Business Development Director is responsible for performing a variety of professional administrative functions related to Economic Development including coordinating and driving a proactive economic diversification, growth and business development initiative; find, analyze, recruit, propose non-gaming economic opportunities beneficial to the Tribe and Tribal citizens; manage projects including development, recruitment, and purchase of business prospects, at the local, state, national and international level; prepare and implement policies and programs relative to economic development initiatives. Assist Legislative branch Tribally Chartered Corporations, Tribal sub-entities and enterprises with economic development and business related activities by addressing problems and recommending solutions. Analyze and assist in development of new enterprises and revenue streams and create and oversee economic development plan for the Tribe to be presented to Tribal Council.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work closely with Tribally Chartered Corporations, Tribal sub-entities and enterprises to assess and improve current business processes.
- Provide technical assistance with the implementation and development of training programs, employee handbook, reporting systems, business development, licensing, and financial reporting.
- Communicates with boards, management and employees, reviews documents to understand what problems exist and provides assistance and solutions.
- Develop and analyzing business plans for Chartered Corporations and Enterprises and steps for implementation.
- Improve efficiency and reduce company costs of doing business.
- Strategic and economic development planning
- Assess and develop plans for vacant or underutilized land parcels for potential economic development.
- Assess and develop plans for new economic development opportunities.
- Research grant, tax credits and other economic development programs and opportunities and seeks grants and other funding opportunities to leverage economic development and redevelopment.
- Investigate and assess business opportunities for recommendations to Tribal Council.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizational policies and applicable laws.
Knowledge of databases and computer application systems to supply the most accurate financial information required. Experience with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning required. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills applicable to all levels of audience. Excellent analytical, reasoning, and organizational skills required. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to manage tasks and projects that require the ability to schedule, coordinate, and manage various projects of varying degrees of difficulty, size, and complexity. Knowledge of how local economies function and fit within the larger marketplace. Knowledge of economic development programs and providers. Ability to research grant funding programs associated with redevelopment and economic development opportunities. Knowledge of code compliance best practices.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and effectively plan work activities; use time efficiently; meet realistic goals and objectives; complete in timely manner; follow through on commitments; meet challenges with resourcefulness; develop innovative approaches and ideas.
COMMENTS: Indian preference will apply. Position will require occasional local and national travel. Individual must be able to pass a civil and criminal background investigation.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Preferred but not required: Certified Management Consultant (CMC) certification.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Requirement of three (3) plus years of business development or consulting experience and either a MBA, Master’s in Entrepreneurship, or one of the following:
- MS Management – Project Management
- MS Management – Leadership
- MS Management – Organizational Design & Development
EXPECTATION OF THE POSITION:
It is the expectation of Tribal Council that the person in this position will be self-revenue generating within a 9 month period. If this position is not successful in creating new revenue for the Tribe, the position will be eliminated.
This will be a contractual position with agreed upon measurable goals.