*This position is eligible for a $1,000 hiring incentive as outlined in the EightCAP, Inc. 0-5 Head Start Hiring Incentive Policy.
Position: *Center Assistant
Classification: SA 01-03 ($12.90 - $14.08 - $15.24)
Work Weeks: 32-36
Positions Supervised: None
Essential Function of Job:
Under the direction of the Head Start teacher, the Head Start center assistant works collaboratively with the teacher and teacher assistant to ensure the implementation of the Head Start program in accordance with the Head Start Program Performance Standards and Child Day Care Licensing Requirements.
Examples of Work:
(Any one position may not include all the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in the positions of this class.)
- Familiarize and follow all policies, procedures, and requirements as set forth in Foundations for Quality, Child Day Care Licensing, Head Start Performance Standards, and the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP).
- Make CACFP approved substitutions as needed and immediately document all changes on center menus.
- Sit and eat with children, modeling healthy eating habits and encouraging appropriate conversation.
- Maintain cleanliness of meal preparation areas, storage areas, furniture, dishes, and appliances.
- Shop weekly for food and supplies and submit Requests for Payment or Reimbursement to the teacher in a timely manner.
- Complete and submit Comparison Shopping Form and submit to 0-5 Head Start Coordinator as required.
- Monitor meal service inventory regularly.
- Assist with children and activities as directed by the teacher.
- Communicate positively with children, parents, volunteers, and staff in verbal and non-verbal interactions.
- Attend professional development trainings as required by management staff.
- Generate required inkind and complete necessary documentation.
- Recruit, coordinate, and encourage parents and other volunteers to be involved in the program and create a feeling of respect and comfort within the program.
- Attend and assist with Parent Committees and Events as directed by management staff.
- Notify supervisor in advance if unable to work and is responsible for obtaining substitute.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Requirements of Work:
- Reliable transportation with a vehicle suitable for transporting meal service supplies.
- Capability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to plan and follow through.
- Ability to effectively monitor an active preschool classroom.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- A demonstrated ability to interact positively with parents and children in a non-judgmental way.
- An initial health examination (that includes screening for tuberculosis) and a periodic re-examination (as recommended by health care provider or as mandated by State or local laws).
- Absence of exclusionary findings on a Comprehensive Criminal History Check.
- Effective, January 31, 2022, the Office of Head Start (OHS) requires all Head Start staff to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Exemptions may be granted for individuals who request and receive an exemption from vaccination because of a:
- Medical condition, or medical necessity requires a delay in vaccination, as documented by a licensed medical practitioner (as a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance (established under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964).
Those who are granted an exemption for one of the reasons listed above are required to undergo weekly testing for current SARS COV-2 infection.
Aside from those who are granted exemptions for one of the reasons above, there is no testing option as an alternative to the vaccine requirement.
Required Minimum Training and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Experience with early childhood programs and food service preferred.
- Successful completion of all training topics, as required by Child Day Care Licensing, within specified timeframes.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license and satisfactory driving history review.
- Completion of 16 clock hours of professional development training, annually.