Why work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons?
You can have a meaningful career with an agency that truly values a diverse workforce. You will find a diverse workforce employed from entry level jobs to senior management positions. We protect public safety by ensuring federal offenders serve their sentences of imprisonment in facilities that are safe, humane, and provide reentry programming. Employees at correctional facilities perform correctional work regardless of their specific occupation.
Learn more about this agency
The work of the position involves analytical and evaluative duties related to computer networks and/or telecommunications with primary knowledge requirement of information processing methodology, information technology, computer capabilities, and processing techniques. The work includes departmental responsibilities within the institution.
Incumbent oversees implementation of new system hardware and software and develops operating procedures. Monitors the ongoing operation of a complex network environment with a large number of users in an installation and ensures corrective action to restore operational service is accomplished.
Along with all other correctional institution employees, incumbent is charged with responsibility for maintaining security of the institution. The staff correctional responsibilities precede all others required by this position and are performed on a regular and recurring basis.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training.
2210 Information Technology Management
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is Required.
- See Special Conditions of Employment Section.
The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the Department of Justice with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your Department of Justice component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP eligibility, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and score 85 or better on established ranking criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: Click Here
To be considered for the position, you must meet either the requirements specified in the section titled Education OR the requirements specified in the section titled Experience.
GS-11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
GS-12: There is no substitution of education for specialized experience at this grade level.
Graduate Education: Major study - Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
NOTE: If you are using education to qualify, you MUST provide legible transcripts to receive consideration. All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, Click Here. Transcripts MUST be received by the Consolidated Staffing Unit by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. (If you are selected for this position, you will be required to provide an OFFICIAL transcript prior to your first day on duty.)
For information regarding foreign education requirements, please see Foreign Diploma and Credit Recognition at the U.S. Department of Education website: Recognition of Foreign Qualifications
You must have IT related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
GS-11 and GS-12:
- Attention to detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgement to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
GS-11 and GS-12: You must have one year of specialized experience at the next lower GS-grade (or equivalent). Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular qualifications to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience is typically gained in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT.
Some examples of qualifying experience:
- Experience providing ongoing support, resolution of problems, and recovery of operating malfunctions involving various hardware components and software failures.
- Experience working with technical support personnel in resolving critical problems.
- Experience conducting testing to ensure operability, efficiency and compliance with existing standards.
- Experience suggesting technically feasible approaches and making recommendations to the user regarding the most effective and efficient automation approaches.
- Experience developing training and providing formal or informal training to end users.
- Developing and maintaining procedures for networks, system operations, and product assembly and installation.
- Experience overseeing function tests of the hardware/software to resolve technical problems and ensuring appropriate on-site repairs.
- Experience recommending methods and procedures and coordin