BAY AREA TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY
Supervised By: Operations Managers
Supervises: Limited Supervisory Responsibility
Pay Scale: Administrative Level 4
Under the direct supervision of the Transportation Services Managers, and in cooperation with the Transportation Services Assistant Manager’s instruction, performs a variety of daily functions in support of daily operations. Provides daily quality assurance and performs in an advisory capacity to the transportation services managers.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all duties in which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Provides supervision in absence of managers as directed/needed.
- Monitor radio communications; monitor operator adherence for scheduled reporting time and check out.
- Assist transportation services managers with on-board evaluation of driving and customer service skills.
- Provide road supervision as needed. Monitor operator adherence to route schedules and operating procedures.
- Perform first level investigations into customer complaints as directed.
- Respond and assist operators when accidents occur; perform accident investigations; provide assistance with passenger problems; and respond to road calls and breakdowns.
- Schedule as required for late or absent operators.
- Perform routes as needed to replace scheduled operator that is late or absent.
- Assist driver trainer in the operators’ training program as needed.
- Assist in the safety and security of the operations with Federal, State, or Local Law enforcement personnel.
- Make minor repairs (or replace) coin/bill modules in electronic fare boxes and fill fare boxes with cards when necessary.
- Prepare, compile, and submit timely reports on work activities, operations, production, or work related accidents/incidents.
- Proficient in the proper use and maintenance of all vehicles and vehicle equipment within BATA’s fleet.
- Proficient in the use and operation of all electronics and communication equipment.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
High school diploma or equivalent, supplemented with technical or college education preferred.
Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license and maintain a Commercial Driver’s License Class B with, at minimum, passenger endorsement and air brakes within 30 Days of Hire.
Must maintain excellent driving record.
Must present neat well-groomed appearance in all situations.
Proficient skill in the use of technology, including computers and a variety of related software, and the ability to master new technologies.
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions, and carry them out independently.
Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate and present information orally and in writing. Tactfully and courteously interact with co-workers and customers, provides excellent customer service.
Works well in challenging, fast-paced, high-stress and deadline-oriented environments individually or as part of a team.
Ability to provide guidance and foster teamwork.
Ability to solve problems, work effectively under stress, within deadlines and changes in work priorities calmly and positively.
Ability to think abstractly and visualize geographic bus locations and destinations.
In addition to the above requirements, all positions require the ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language as necessary for the position; the ability to follow written and oral instructions and the ability to interact positively with other employees and members of the public. Employees are also expected to possess and maintain a record of orderly, law-abiding citizenship, sobriety, integrity, and loyalty as it pertains to and reflects upon their employment. Employees must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential duties of their position without excessive absences.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person and by telephone, read regular and small print, view and produce written and electronic documents and enter data on a computer keyboard with repetitive keystrokes. The employee must be mobile in an office and field setting, stand, sit, stoop and kneel, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must lift and/or move items of moderate to heavy weight (i.e. Bankers boxes, etc.).
The typical work environment of this job is a quasi-garage/office setting where the noise level is moderate and sometimes loud, working under normal fluorescent lighting, regularly exposed to dust, fumes from exhaust, and chemicals associated with vehicle maintenance.
FLSA – Salary-Exempt-Administration