Michigan Agricultural Commodities is seeking a full-time Safety Director for the organization. MAC is a progressive leader in the grain industry, continually investing in our facilities and employees to expand our footprint across Michigan. The ideal individual for this role will have experience or interest in agriculture and safety, demonstrating a desire to impact the safety culture at the company.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Responsible for development, training, implementation and oversight of MAC safety and security program.
- Required to identify, eliminate and control hazardous conditions that may lead to injury or property damage using safety standards and best management practices
- Intertwined in the Safety and Security program are the responsibilities of understanding the Facility Risk Assessment and Security Guide as outlined by NGFA. In addition, overseeing the FSMA program is part of this responsibility as well.
- Oversee safety programs and safety coordinators companywide: Lansing, Newaygo, Middleton, Marlette, Brown City, Blissfield and Jasper locations. Work with the Safety Coordinator at related company LAC’s facilities.
- Core of the program will be the RCI Version III web-based safety program, which will be used to track and document the program.
- Lead the rescue training program for the organization.
- Fully integrate and oversee the RCI Version III safety program into the culture at all facilities, including preventive maintenance.
- RCI: Tracks TIR, DART, and near misses. Provides training material, as well as tracking data. Tracks corrective actions. Provides Preventative Maintenance Program that tracks work done on all equipment by location. Houses all policies. Provides tracking for Contractor Safety Training program.
- Maintain Safety and Security Program, identifying safety standards necessary to eliminate or control hazardous continues that may lead to injury and/or property damage, including sanitation and pest control. Continually update as program as needed.
- Train, implement, and oversee the Safety and Security program.
- Attend conferences and training programs to continually develop and understand safety knowledge and OSHA/MIOSHA standards. Work with other entities, such as fire and police or county officials to both learn from and train about specific issues at MAC facilities.
- Maintain contact with facilities and safety coordinators by phone, email, text and personal visits. Effectively promote the Safety and Security program, and build relationships with employees to learn concerns and implement solutions.
- Maintain a thorough and in-depth knowledge of Safety and Security regulations, and be capable of making accurate and effective recommendations to management with regard to various safety, security, and risk management strategies.
- Monthly on-site visits and inspections of MAC facilities are required. Physical condition must not limit the ability to climb, list at least 50#, and get in and out of confined spaces. Wearing of personal protective equipment may be required.
- Create quarterly safety reports and updates on each facility, rating success or failure of program implementation at each location.
- Effectively communicate progress implementing the program with the facility managers. Partner with management to continually update and manage the program.
- Review opening and closing procedures used at each MAC facility to insure the on-site security
- Understand and assure MAC is in Compliance with the Food Safety and Quality Plan. Work closely with program administrator to oversee compliance.
- Work with CFO to develop and manage an auditing program, assuring best practices are maintained at all facilities
- Oversee and direct implementation of thermography program for preventive maintenance
- Schedule and ensure completion of Monthly Safety Meetings on Safety Made Simple platform
- Lead three meetings per year in a group setting
- Ensure CAP and RCI reporting by locations is completely monthly
- Complete all opacity testing on new equipment as required
- Other duties as assigned by President
- Demonstrate good personal and communication skills
- Motivation to learn new skills and information
- Organizational and attention to detail skills
- Problem analysis and problem-solving mindset
- Ability to self-direct and accomplish goals
- 3-years industry experience in a safety related field required
- A bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Agricultural related discipline, or Safety equivalent is preferred.
To Apply: Please submit resumes to email@example.com
*This job description should not be construed as an employee contract. Management retains the right to employ-at will.
*Michigan Agricultural Commodities is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, , national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or other group status protected by Federal, State, or local laws.