Classification Reports to
Nonexempt Quarterback Supervisor or Director of Nursing
In keeping with our organization’s goal of improving the lives of the patients/residents we serve, the Quarterback plays a critical role; the Quarterback provides direction and personifies leadership, the Quarterback safeguards the health, safety and welfare of all guests under their care by following applicable laws, regulations, and established nursing policies and procedures. The Quarterbacks focus, here at Illuminate HC is on our patient response system, Illuminate. They are responsible for ensuring call lights are answered promptly and efficiently; they are the patient/resident “first responder” to needs, and assure those needs are met in the most efficient manner.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Must be able to give & follow direction.
- Be open-minded and display immense initiative.
- Be an expert with the Illuminate applications, understand details and how the systems function together. Knowledge will include but is not limited to; how to navigate staff assignment, how to prioritize tasks, how to track current staff/assets on the unit, and how to follow up on patient/resident satisfaction.
- Manage the input of tasks.
- Ensure the completion of tasks and provide follow up with the patient and/or assigned staff member.
- Properly maintain the Illuminate applications to ensure accuracy & privacy of information inputted into the system and that the system itself is always functioning properly.
- Perform basic tech trouble shooting and report issues to Illuminate tech support.
- Constantly/proactively round to ensure satisfaction and completion of tasks, as well as anticipating future needs.
- Work collaboratively with unit staff to systematically handle unit tasks (I.E.,) meal pass to ensure residents continuously receive exceptional support.
- Keep track of unit staff when they exit their assigned unit for breaks or to collect supplies.
- Coordinate off unit tasks to ensure other departments follow up with patent/resident needs.
- Must be knowledgeable of current residents & their assigned units.
- Assure that established infection control and standard precaution practices are maintained when providing care, or when assigning tasks. Follow established safety precautions when preforming tasks and while using equipment and supplies.
- Assists with the training of new staff members.
- Reports all hazardous conditions, damaged equipment and supply issues to the supervisor.
- Maintain the comfort, respect, privacy, and dignity of patients/residents and interacts with them in a manner that displays warmth and promotes a caring environment.
- Assist with new admissions & re-admissions to ensure they are properly acquainted with their assigned unit, staff, as well as the role of the Quarterback in helping to ensure organization on the unit.
- Be able to accomplish multiple tasks, while delegating tasks responsibly to others.
- Communicates and interacts effectively, positively, & tactfully with patients, residents, visitors, families, peers, and supervisors.
- Function as a leader and be able to provide clear, concise, and accurate instruction.
- Attend and participate in departmental meetings and in-services as directed.
This position provides oversight/task management responsibilities to all staff on the assigned unit, including but not limited to CNA, Nursing and Housekeeping staff.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to blood or other body fluids, fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here representative those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance and stoop, squat or kneel. The employee frequently will assist to lift and/or transfer objects weighing up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and peripheral vision.
Applies hand washing principles during daily work; demonstrates understanding of isolation and standard precautions; recognizes signs and symptoms of infection and complies with the employee health program; demonstrates understanding of the process for identifying and handling infectious waste; maintains personal hygiene; complies with OSHA standards in the work place; and demonstrates understanding of cross-contamination.
Must be able to speak and write in the English language in an understandable manner. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond quickly to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Promotes and protects residents’ rights; assists residents to make informed decisions; treats residents with dignity and respect; protects residents’ personal belongings; reports suspected abuse or neglect; avoids the need for physical restraints in accordance with current professional standards; supports independent expression, choice and decision-making consistent with applicable law and regulation.
Attends in-service and education programs and attends continuing education required for maintenance of professional certification or licensure.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Certified in the state of Michigan as a Certified Nursing Assistant or willingness to obtain certification in a timely manner.
- P.R. Certified
- Prefer at least 3 years’ experience in a C.N.A. position.