Overview: Tool & Die Maker / Repair working in union production and stamping plant; Prog and Transfer Dies.
Responsibilities / Duties:
- Conduct test runs with completed dies in presses or in Die Room to ensure that parts meet specifications; make adjustments as necessary
- Cut, shape and trim blanks or blocks to specified legnths or shapes, using power saws, power shears and hand tools
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, gauges, and tools using machine tools and hand tools
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects
- Lift, position, and secure machined parts on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vises, v-blocks, or angle plates
- Measure, mark, and scribe metal to lay out machining, using instruments such as micrometers, scribes, and rulers
- Select metals to be used from a range of metals and alloys, based on properties such as hardness and heat tolerance
- Set up and operate conventional machine tools such as lathes, milling machines and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes
- Set up and operate drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts of tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery clothes, or power grinders
- Study blueprints, sketches, models or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies or assemblies
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers and dial indicators