Principal Staff Electrical Engineer – PCB Layout
• Fully responsible for engineering, development, and release of PCBs through all project phases, from conceptual design through detailed design, prototype part procurement, development, validation, reliability testing, production release, and production manufacturing launch.
• Manage customer specified requirements. Create and launch designs to meet or exceed specifications with statistical capability.
• Work closely with hardware engineering to ensure EMC compliance, as well as electrical hardware placement guidelines.
• Collaborate effectively with the global PCB team for workload balancing, design guideline development and harmonization.
• Effectively utilize engineering tools and methods with high level of skill: Zuken (PCB layout), DFMEA, GD&T, stackup analyses, DFM, DFA, DOE, structural and thermal analysis, selecting engineered materials, agile methods such as JIRA, and verification testing to prove and compare designs.
• Collaborate effectively with project team, customers, and external suppliers in design and development process and lead mechanical engineering activities.
• Organize and complete project tasks in a timely manner. Document PCB designs for release.
• Stay informed about the latest technologies and industry trends – look for innovations to reduce cost and increase design performance for modules and wireless products.
• Lead acquisition efforts for initial PCB development such as hardware placement to determine board size and support Thermal studies.
• Benchmark, compare, and analyze all relevant aspects of competitor’s products.
• Prepare charts, graphs and diagrams, and prepare presentations to illustrate various PCB design solutions.
• Work closely with mechanical engineering to ensure proper component clearances and PCB support by using idf files.
• Work closely with hardware engineering to ensure proper component utilization from library.
• Work closely with manufacturing engineering to ensure DFM, DFA, PPAP, and successful launches. This could include occasional travel to various Continental production locations.
• Work with suppliers for sourcing, managing technical execution, or evaluating PPAPs. This could include travel to supplier locations or researching new suppliers and technologies.
• Provide PCB documentation for test fixtures and systems, to include test point locations to team.
• Coach and give guidance on nonroutine or problem areas to design team and other layout engineers.
• Structured root cause analysis capabilities with techniques such as Ishikawa diagrams, DOEs, and Variables mapping. Find solutions and close problems efficiently.
Auto req ID:
• Minimum B.S. degree in Engineering, preferably Electrical Engineering, with experience in creating PCB layout designs.
• 7+ years of automotive engineering experience.
• Exposure to, or experience with GD&T and tolerance stack up calculations.
• Power and signal integrity simulations.
• Board layout design rule definition and maintenance.
• IPC standards.
• PCB technology definition and release for mass production.
• Must be able to sit/stand and conduct computer work for extended periods of time.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Masters Degree + > 10+ years experience.
• Exposure to use of CAE tools for thermal analysis and
determining design options.
• Some background in injection molded products, stamped components, and/or engineered materials.
• Experience with team center data release to Ford, GM, FCA, and/or transplants.
Must meet 3 of 5 below:
• Global Expert Designation
• Recognized external professional certification
• Advanced degree
• Recent Technical Publication
EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Continental offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. In addition, as a federal contractor, Continental complies with government regulations, including affirmative action responsibilities, where they apply. To be considered, you must apply for a specific position for which Continental has a current posted job opening. Qualifying applications will be considered only for the specific opening(s) to which you apply. If you would like to be considered for additional or future job openings, we encourage you to reapply for other opportunities as they become available. Further, Continental provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance in the application process, please reply to North.America.Recruiting@continental-corporation.com or contact US Recruiting at 248.209.4000.
With sales of €44 billion in 2017, Continental is among the leading automotive suppliers worldwide and currently employs more than 238,000 employees in 61 countries. Information management in and beyond the vehicle is at the very heart of the Interior division. The product portfolio for different types of vehicles includes: instrument clusters, multifunctional and head-up displays, control units, access control and tire-information systems, radios, infotainment systems, input devices, control panels, climate control units, software, cockpits as well as services and solutions for telematics and Intelligent Transportation Systems. The Interior division employs more than 46,000 people worldwide and generated sales of €9.3 billion in 2017.
Division Footer Text:
Ready to drive with Continental? Take the first step and fill in the online application.