Artworks in Big Rapids is looking for a full-time Gift Shop Manager for its Painted Turtle Gift Shop.
The right candidate will coordinate on a daily basis all activities associated with the administration of a nonprofit gift shop under the direction of and reporting to the executive director. This person will provide leadership to artists and volunteers who serve in the gift shop and on related committees. Must be able to interact with the public in a friendly and professional manner.
This is a full-time position (32 hours/week) that will require evening and weekend hours.
Essential Job Functions:
- Active member of the jury committee (of Artworks artists) to determine product diversity and quality
- Works with the Marketing Manager to develop the marketing strategy for the gift shop
- Works with the finance administrator to develop the budget for the gift shop
- Staff the gift shop for regular shop hours as well as special events for Artworks or the downtown community.
- Manages the aesthetics of the Painted Turtle Gift Shop, provides oversight for display and inventory placement and store window displays
- Maintain store fixtures (lighting, painting, repair)
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of the facility space, including kitchen, storage areas (room 5, 6 and 7) and attic above kitchen
- Communicates to the artists- sales trends and upcoming promotions
- Attend staff meetings and facilitates artist and volunteer meetings
- Utilizes technology in the gift shop (POS, QuickBooks, general knowledge of computers)
- Recruit new artists with a focus on product diversity
- Provide on-going training, support and recognition for gift shop artists
- Responsible for supplementing artist inventory with Artworks owned inventory
- Tracks sales to generate reports and action plan to continually assess optimal sales
- Manages the flow of gift shop financials – reconciles daily cash and sales, organizes pay to artists and sends to finance by the 15th of the month, tracks and prepares monthly income and expense records, makes all bank deposits.
- Manages business inventory including artists work, purchased goods and cleaning supplies. (Order items, receive and account for all artist inventory, manage accuracy of consignment inventory)
- Works closely with the Exhibit coordinator managing space needs and scheduling
- Coordinate efforts for volunteer recognition
- Recruit and train gift shop volunteers
- Oversees the organization, marketing, and implementation of artist reception and special events (DBA and community events) that are held at The Painted Turtle.
- Works with the coordinator of short-term rentals for scheduling and staffing the gift shop
- Community engagement including but not limited to: Big Rapids Downtown Business Association (DBA), Mecosta County Chamber of Commerce, Ferris State University, Festival of the Arts
- Provides monthly reports to the Board