Otsego County Road Commission is seeking a Heavy Equipment Mechanic.
This position works under the direction of the Shop and Equipment Foreman. Mechanic's job requires him/her to assist the Shop and Equipment Foreman with safety, repairs, recommendations for repairs to trucks, heavy equipment and other miscellaneous equipment. Executes repairs and performs preventive maintenance and safety checks on equipment. Mechanic reports all safety concerns or abuses to Shop and Equipment Foreman.
Must have knowledge and/or experience of gas and diesel engines, transmissions, differentials, electrical components, hydraulic systems, brakes, welding and fabrication, cooling and air conditioning systems and trouble shooting.
Examples of Duties
1. Usual start time is 6:00 a.m. but hours of work vary and may require overtime
2. Use welder (mig), cutting torches, plasma cutter, and other tools for the repair and maintenance of plows and underbody blades.
3. Execute preventive maintenance, including washing of equipment, greasing, changing of oil safety inspections
4. Fill out all required forms (oil sample, service sheets, log sheets)
5. Maintain work area in a neat and orderly fashion
6. Ability to test drive vehicles and make diagnostic analysis of problems and repair problem.
7. Ability to attend schools and receive training in all aspects of equipment repair
8. Ability to diagnose computerized engines, transmissions, and anti lock brake systems with the aid of a laptop computer. Basic computer knowledge required
9. Repair computerized ground speed controlled salting systems
10. Must possess a complete set of hand tools necessary to do all aspects of vehicle maintenance
11. May be required to drive snow removal equipment consisting of truck equipped with adjustable snow plow; plows snow; spreads sand/salt in icy conditions (Training will be provided)
12. Other duties as assigned
The above statements and/or list of duties are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned this classification and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
Working Conditions and Hazards
Working Conditions: Works outside in all kinds of weather
Working Hazards: Works on roadway in traffic; works with chemicals
Physical Effort: Manual labor which involves lifting and carrying heavy tools and materials; wearing of safety equipment; requires bending, twisting, and stooping many times a day
Essential Job Elements and Physical Demands (ADA)
Physical Mobility: Ability to walk extended distances and climb stairs or ramps to access Road Commission and other work related locations
Vision and Sight: Ability to read instructions, directions, and similar written information in letters, memorandas, forms and other documents
Hearing/ Speaking: Ability to converse orally with standard telephones and radios to receive and communicate information to employees and the public
Agility/ Movement: Ability to lift, push, pull and manipulate tools, equipment, supplies, and other objects, often weighing upwards to 80 pounds
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Mechanical aptitude needed to operate equipment efficiently and safely. Ability to read and understand written and oral instructions. Ability to identify, recommend or implement improvements in the work area.
1. Associated Degree in Diesel Mechanics or equivalent
2. One (1) year mechanical experience
3. Formal training in computerized diagnostics systems and software
4. Valid Group A Commercial Drivers License and Endorsement N with Air Brakes or the ability to obtain in 120 days
5. Motor Carrier Physical Exam Card
The Otsego County Road Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer.