This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help*......*
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature;=youtu.be prior to applying for this position. Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, guidance/school counseling, counseling psychology, criminal justice or human services.
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration
This position is located in Standish, Michigan at the Arenac County* *Department of Health and Human Services, 3709 Deep River Road, Standish, MI 48658.
Why*_ Arenac County?_*
Arenac County is located along Lake Huron and Saginaw Bay on the eastern side of Michigan's Lower Peninsula.
The county's population is 15,261 (2015) with a median income of $38,129 according to estimates by the US Census Bureau.
Local events include the Arenac County Fair, Antique Car and Motorcycle Show, Sucker Festival, Venetian Night & Parade of Boats, Winterfest-Timber to Trail, Depot Days and Au Gres Arts and Crafts Show.
Among the county's attractions are Saganing Eagle's Landing Casino, US 23 Heritage Route, Maple Ridge Historic School House, Standish Historical Depot and Welcome Center, Oasis Lake and Arenac County Historical Museum and Genealogical Center.
Home to four golf courses including Huron Breeze Golf Club, Knollview Golf, Pine River Gold Club and Rifle River Golf Course.
There are at least 18 camp grounds in Arenac County ranging from rustic campsites to full service RV parks.
Two islands in Saginaw Bay are also part of Arenac county, Charity Island and Little Charity Island. Charity Island is known for its rare plants, animals and 1857 lighthouse. Both islands are part of the Michigan Islands National Wildlife Refuge system managed by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
The towns of Au Gres and Standish both host farmer's markets.
The Rifle, Pine and Au Gres Rivers are popular for paddle sports. The Arenac Blue Water Trail travels along Lake Huron and gives kayakers and canoeists superb coastal wildlife viewing.
For more information please visit http://www.arenaccountygov.com/
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, T*o be considered for this position you must:*
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- _Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?":_
- _If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? _
- *How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? *
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).* We accept scanned copies of official* transcripts.Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript.
- As a Condition of Employment –this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis. YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS INTERVIEWED WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE RESULTS. Failure to complete any of the above items may result in your application being screened out. DUE TO THE VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY THE DEPARTMENT, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION REGARDING THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION OVER THE PHONE.