Mechanical Design Engineer, Hudsonville, MI –
Altron Automation is a custom manufactured automated machinery company in West Michigan. We design, build and execute all in-house, located in Hudsonville, Michigan. Included in our capabilities are advanced manufacturing systems, test equipment, reinforced plastics and prototyping. We provide best-in-class automated tooling and equipment and are recognized as a top-tier manufacturing partner dedicated to anticipating customer’s needs.
For more than 30 years Altron Automation has been designing high quality engineered solutions and creating automation with the very best service and engineering team. We are all about quality, dedication and integrity. Delivering results with pristine accuracy is essential to us.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for mechanical design, detailing and compiling a bill of materials for customer manufactured automated machines and fixtures. They will ensure the machine to be built is functional and suits the application for which it was sold. This is a full time, salaried role.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Capable of conception, designing and detailing a complete job.
- Review, resolve and investigate opportunities that arise pertaining to active jobs.
- Review procedures and make suggestions for company standard procedures.
- Pursue new or revised technology, which will result in cost savings to the company.
- Train mechanical design personnel.
- Provide machine manufacturing with bills of material, machine layout prints and detail prints required for mechanical machine construction.
- Work within the computer network system as directed.
- Review with manufacturing, engineering’s intent for machine construction.
- Resolve problems encountered by manufacturing.
- Supervise detailers and engineering assistants when required.
- Provide purchased component information to manual technical writers.
- Participate in and/or lead activities that promote continuous improvement, Altron’s Total Quality Systems and create a safe working environment.
- Reporting requirements include mechanical layout prints, mechanical detail prints and mechanical bill of materials.
- Minimum of Associates degree in an engineering related field, Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Design Engineering highly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in machine design with strong knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Strong mechanical aptitude essential.
- Able to convey concepts and ideas.
- Supervisory skills.
- Able to read part prints.
- Able to read and create machine layout prints.
- Must be capable of performing all the duties and responsibilities of a detailer.
- Knowledge of mechanical drafting practices.
- Knowledge of machine and fixture building practices.
- Fluent in Computer Aided Design – Solidworks preferred.
- Knowledge of OSHA and pertinent industry standards and codes.
- Capable of complex problem solving and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- High quality focus important.
- General knowledge of automotive and/or heavy truck industry products.
- Knowledge of local distributors of products.
- Fluent with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Prioritizes and handles many tasks simultaneously and has demonstrated organizational skills.
- Excellent, professional communication, interpersonal and diplomacy skills essential.
- Exercise team effort to achieve success.
- Thoughtful and respects peers, subordinates, supervisors and customers; able to work in multicultural environments.
- Takes pride in company and has concern for corporate image.
- General housekeeping of work areas.
See more about us at www.altronautomation.com