The City of Big Rapids is accepting applications for a full-time Laborer position to perform a variety of tasks related to the maintenance and repair activities of city facilities, which may involve the operation of trucks, front end loaders, backhoes, graders, tractors and other power driven equipment; and to perform related work as required.
This is a AFSCME Union position with benefits and a starting wage of $16.50 per hour.
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties: (These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Perform such manual tasks as constructing, grading and patching streets; cleaning sewers; assist in repairing water leaks; repairing sidewalks; erecting and repairing fences, signs and recreation equipment; mowing grass; planting and maintaining trees, shrubs and flower beds; removing trash and litter from parks and recreation areas; erecting traffic signs and pavement marking; collect brush and leaves; and removing ice and snow from City streets and sidewalks.
- Operate tractors, trailers, trucks, air compressors, graders, backhoes, sewer cleaners, mowers, snow blowers/plows, jack hammers and power saws.
- Respond to Public Works emergency assignments.
- Put up and take down decorations.
- Assist, as needed, with building, grounds maintenance, swimming pool maintenance and perform minor repair on vehicles, mechanical equipment and power tools.
- Operate two way radio communication system.
- Load and move materials, furniture or equipment.
- Perform related work as required.