The Mecosta-Osceola Intermediate School District is looking for a full-time Transportation Mechanic to join its team.
This position is year-round (8 hours per day), part of the Mecosta-Osceola Personnel Cooperative (MOP Co-Op), and located at Reed City Area Public Schools District.
The right candidate will repair and maintain all vehicles/equipment owned by the district. Coordinate with others to meet the transportation needs of the district. Assist with the completion of reports, accountability records, and other documentation concerning maintenance and repair of vehicles and equipment. Assist with ordering parts and supplies as well as solicitation and evaluation of bids and/or proposals for parts, buses, vehicles, supplies and services, as directed.
Responsible to perform mechanical maintenance services of vehicles, including preventive maintenance. Perform overtime work only as needed and approved. Assist in seeing that all district vehicles are cleaned as required. Assist in maintaining a clean work area and parts area stocking. Will be required to drive a school bus on a route when needed. Assist with recommendations for replacement of equipment and materials.
Essential job duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Performs all necessary repairs and maintenance to fleet in order to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrated success in performing a wide variety of tasks requiring an understanding of and proficiency in school transportation mechanical repair.
- Assures adequate maintenance and repair records are kept for all vehicles.
- Recommends major vehicle replacements to supervisor(s).
- Maintains the ability to diagnose, repair, rebuild and make necessary adjustments on all vehicles.
- Skilled in using electronic diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to adapt available tools and repair parts to specific repair problems.
- Maintain a high standard of safety and good housekeeping of garage area.
- Experience in computer software products such as word and excel.
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees both verbally and through e-mail communications.
- Ability to cooperate with drivers, fellow mechanics, staff and supervisory personnel.
- Physically able to perform job duties (must be able to lift 75 pounds). Will be required to pass a physical/drug test.
- Perform driving duties with students when necessary.
- Order all parts, supplies, etc needed for efficient garage operation while following proper purchasing protocol.
- Ability and knowledge of snow plowing.
- Ability to work in varying and adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Must pass a criminal history background investigation conducted by the Michigan State Police (MSP) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- All other duties and/or functions as assigned and/or deemed necessary by the nature of the work assignment. Reports to the Director of Facilities and Transportation.