Put your talent to work and discover a career path that transforms lives! MRC Industries, Inc. in Kalamazoo, Michigan has a rewarding opportunity to join our team and work with individuals with disabilities.
POSTING DATE: September 27, 2017
POSITION: artWorks Unit Manager
JOB ORDER: 129
REPORTS TO: McKercher Program Director
Summary of Responsibilities:
The artWorks Unit Manager provides direct oversight to the artWorks program and provides leadership and supervision for artWorks staff and volunteers. The position is responsible for providing a person-centered and safe environment for the artWorks enterprise by exposing and facilitating the creation of a variety of art media, and allowing the participants to use their own ideas in creating art to sell. Provides training, information and assistance to staff and volunteers so they can work effectively with the artists. Ensures artWorks cleanliness, display of merchandise, and maintenance of supplies. Communicates with the McKercher Program Director as needed. Promotes artWorks to family members, guardians, staff, consumers, and the larger community..
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and direction to assigned artWorks staff and volunteers. Assign responsibility and exact accountability for results.
- Recommend to Program Director new services and modify existing services to meet participant needs. Develop and implement activities that promote community inclusion and participation, independence and/or productivity in the most natural setting possible.
- Manage resources and implement strategies to achieve goals and objectives.
- Make recommendations for hire. Orient, train and develop staff and volunteer positions under supervision. Perform regular staff evaluations. Develop and/or assist with updating job descriptions as needed.
- Make recommendations for MRC policies or procedures for assigned areas.
- Inform the Program Director of staff concerns, problems, issues and failure to obtain results and take corrective action in consultation with the Program Director and Human Resources as appropriate.
- Work hands-on with artists to motivate and stimulate creativity, innovation, and independent problem solving to help artists reach their highest potential in the art market.
- Foster progress through positive reinforcement, modeling positive employment behaviors, and giving constructive feedback. Enable artists to be as independent and self-sufficient as possible.
- Possess knowledge of current trends in art in the community.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date progress notes
- Work with customers in the store front, greeting customers, making sales, and being responsible for monies collected.
- Instruct artists in proper care and use of tools and supplies.
- Ensure the cleanliness and attractive display of merchandise. Assist in the hanging and presentation of artwork for sale.
- Participate in art shows and events to promote the artists' work.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety protocols.
- Ensure that recipient rights and confidentiality are protected in accordance with agency policy and the Michigan Mental Health Code.
- Provide information and assistance to staff and volunteers so they can work effectively with the artists.
- Ensure smooth operation of activities and communicate pertinent information and changes to Program Director.
- Maintain ongoing communication with participants’ families and supports coordinators regarding their progress and development. Ensure satisfaction with services offered.
- Record and track artwork as it is dispersed into the community. Provide accurate and complete records of all artwork and contractual agreements on sales by galleries and other venues.
- Maintain the organization and storage of all supplies at the studio. Conduct regular inventories of supplies and purchase necessary supplies when needed.
- Promote artWorks to family members/guardians, staff, consumers and the larger community as an opportunity that strengthens artistic skills and employment skills and provides a venue to develop a vocation and earn an income.
- Perform employee orientation, training and development for the unit.
- Verify weekly consumers’ attendance records.
- Perform monthly safety inspections and coordinate scheduled drills.