Location: Ferndale Early Childhood Center
Reports to: Early Childhood Supervisor
Start Date: January 18, 2017
Hourly Rate: $21.50/hour
Hours: Part-time contractual position, hours based on availability
The Head Start Nutritionist will manage compliance with Head Start Nutrition Performance Standards, including timely nutrition assessment and follow-up with families, ongoing nutrition education and classroom nutrition activities, meal planning and monthly reporting and will contribute to the development and implementation of a healthy school food environment. This is a part-time contractual position that runs through the school year (September – June), with option to renew annually.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies child and family nutritional needs through review of nutrition and health files and referrals from staff. Provides ongoing follow-up and nutrition counseling as needed
- Responds to parent requests for nutrition services, education and information
- Conducts parent-education workshops on family and early-childhood nutrition and other nutrition-related topics, as needed
- Conducts classroom nutrition activities with children to broaden their food experiences
- Participates in annual staff and parent orientation
- Provides technical assistance and in-services staff training on early-childhood nutrition, preschool nutrition-education, food safety, meal and snack planning and other relevant topics
- Analyzes and reviews breakfast, lunch and snack menus to assure compliance with Head Start and Federal Nutrition Standards (CACFP, SLP and SBP)
- Refers eligible families to food assistance programs
- Monitors compliance with local and state health, food safety and sanitation standards
- Submits monthly reports to Oakland County Nutrition Services Coordinator
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RD/RDN) required
- At least two (2) years experience working with lower-income communities of various cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Knowledge of Head Start, Community Food Programs, Federal Nutrition Standards, education and curriculum design preferred
- Ability to work independently with supervision and as part of a team
Other qualifications are considered in the final selection of a person to fill this position. The search for a highly qualified applicant for this position is not restricted to this district.
Applicants will be interviewed by the District and hired through EduStaff, a third party administrator.