Under the general direction of the City Manager, manages and conducts the operations of the City’s public works function. The City currently has entirely outsourced its public works department. This position will be responsible for bringing certain public works functions back in-house, and for managing existing or new contractual services relationships to fulfill the City’s public works function. Responsibilities include supervising and participating in the activities of the department, staying current of pertinent statutes and regulations, and developing recommendations for the efficient and effective operations of all public works functions. The position will entail active field work on the part of the Coordinator, along with managing and supervising contracted work functions completed by contractors or partners to the City.
- Experience requirements include four years of progressively responsible experience in public works functions, operations, and maintenance (or experience in an equivalent field).
- Knowledge of machines, materials, safety precautions, and operating practices for public works equipment and processes.
- A valid Michigan driver’s license and the ability to obtain a Michigan Commercial Driver’s License.
- Plans, supervises, evaluates, and inspects the work of others. Bids out work and sources service providers.
- Maintains accurate records and prepares comprehensive reports on the operations of the department.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with co-workers, contractors, other governmental agencies, and the public.
- Exercises good judgment, takes initiative, and possesses resourcefulness in dealing with the public, elected officials, community leaders, and other professionals.
- Effectively communicates and presents ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
- Reads and interprets construction drawings and maps of streets, water, and wastewater systems.
- Performs a broad range of grounds maintenance and building maintenance and repair functions.
DPW Coordinator Position Essential Job Functions
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and evaluates public works functions, including the routine maintenance and upkeep of all City infrastructure, including streets, sidewalks, signage, parking lots, water and sewer system, facilities, street and park trees, etc. Includes management of contractors, budgeting, general administration and capital needs assessment.
- Assess department operations, facilities, and equipment. Develop annual budget requests covering operations and construction and monitor budget expenditures. Purchase supplies, equipment, materials, and contracted services according to established procedures.
- Develop, recommend, and implement policies and procedures in accordance with departmental directives, policies, procedures, regulations, and City standards.
- Directs and participates in the inspection of infrastructure to determine maintenance needs to assure compliance with City standards. Assess the need for private contracting of projects and services, participate in the contracting process, and provide oversight and quality control.
- Act as department spokesperson, establishing and maintaining effective relationships with the public, employees, vendors, and other interests. Responds to public inquiries and investigates complaints.
For more information about the specific duties associated with the position, refer to the full position description available at: http://cityofpleasantridge.org/index.php/departments/public-works