Cherry Health is a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) with a mission to improve the health and wellness of individuals by providing comprehensive primary and behavioral health care while encouraging access by those who are underserved.
The Optometric Technician's primary responsibility is to assist the Doctor of Optometry in delivering comprehensive eye care in a culturally sensitive way. This position requires travel to and from schools between our Grand Rapids, and Greenville location. This is a full-time, non-exempt, benefit eligible position. Typically working Monday - Friday, from 8:00am-5:00pm.
Cherry Health requires all team members, including temps, contractors, interns, residents, students, etc. to receive the COVID-19 vaccinations subject to certain exclusions. Cherry Health is committed to granting reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable law.
If you haven’t considered a career at Cherry Health, we have some exceptional benefits:
- Medical/dental/vision coverage
- A generous paid-time off (PTO) policy
- 403(b) retirement savings with an employer match contribution
- Onsite continuing education opportunities
- Vendor discounts
- And much more!
High school diploma or equivalent.
CPR certification is required and is offered at CHS.
Optical or Medical Assistant experience preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
- Travel to other Cherry Health sites.
- Obtain a patient history and chief complaint information and transfer to EHR Consistently perform patient pre-testing such as measuring visual acuity, color vision, depth perception, pupil testing, motilities, peripheral vision, and blood pressure.
- Instill eye drops on patients using sterile techniques and explain side effects of drops.
- Administers diagnostic tests such as automated visual field testing, optical coherence tomography, retinal photography, automated lensometry, etc.
- Review home care instructions with patients.
- Review medication use and dosage.
- Maintain consistent and accurate documentation in the chart.
- Instruct patient on techniques such as eye lid scrubs and eye drop instillation.
- Assist doctor with any and all aspects of the eye exam and any follow-up requested.
- Answer telephones.
- Obtain referrals and schedule patients as needed for medical and surgical problems.
- Develop thorough understanding of insurance coverage and help patients understand their coverage.
- Perform filing and recordkeeping duties as needed.
- Ensuring that a patient is due/eligible for an eye exam via chart prep.
- Travel to other sites to cover for a team member.
- Understands and adheres to CSHS’s compliance standards as they appear in CSHS’s Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Keeps abreast of all pertinent federal, state and CSHS’s regulations, laws, and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR SCHOOL-LINKED PROGRAMS:
- Travel to and from schools and assist with log of how many children are seen each day.
- Set up and tear down school clinic – responsible for all except the dispensing/optical area.
- Assist with scheduling and/or check-in for students.
- Maintain accurate electronic health record.
- Assist with phone calls to classrooms and/or escort children as required and maintain professional interaction with all school staff.
- Call parents as needed to set up follow-up appointment and instruct on techniques such as eye lid scrubs and eye drop instillation, and/or explain ocular conditions.
- Assist parents/patients/teachers with complaint resolution.
We are accepting applications for this position until the position is filled.
Our policy is to offer all employees and applicants for employment equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, height, weight, sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, or any other protected category.
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)