Job Title: Northwest Michigan Works! Adult Education Learning Lab Specialist - North
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Provide career planning and guidance to adult education participants in the Traverse City, Kalkaska and Petoskey Learning Labs.
CHARACTERISTIC FEATURES OF THE POSITION: This is a full-time professional paid position working directly with learning lab participants and functioning as a key member of the adult education team.
Works under the direct supervision of Northwest Michigan Works! Adult Education Regional Director.
Responsibilities, Essential Duties and Functions
A staff member in this position may be called upon to perform any or all of the following essential duties. These examples do not include all of the duties which the staff member may be expected to perform.
- Collaboratively work with the Adult Education Regional Director to implement and manage career navigation in the NW MI Works! Learning Labs for adult education participants.
- Collaboratively work with the NW MI Works! Service center and Learning Lab teaching staff to help learning lab participants develop career goals and strategies.
- Build relationships with the NW MI Works! Career Advisors and JMG specialists to create a network of communication with local postsecondary education providers and employers as a resource to help adult education participants build career pathways.
- Attend local Community Collaborative meetings to discover local resources to help remove barriers to education and employment for adult education participants.
- Take Adult Education Participants on Campus Visits to the local community colleges
- Organize job shadowing opportunities for adult education participants to enhance the participant's knowledge of new career options.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Relevant background and experience in career planning and navigation.
- High level of interpersonal skills in working with a diverse population.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to develop new programming.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as computer skills.
- Ability to effectively work as a member of team.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and insurable to drive agency vehicles.
- Frequent day travel required with use of company vehicle or personal vehicle mileage reimbursement.
This is a full-time salaried position working 36 hours/4 days per week paying $37,500 a year. The employee is entitled to the Northwest Michigan Works! fringe benefits package that includes: Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance with employer paid premiums; life insurance; employer paid deferred compensation retirement package; paid vacation, paid sick leave, and paid holidays.