Technical Writer, Hudsonville, MI –
Altron Automation is a custom manufactured automated machinery company in West Michigan.
We are all about quality, dedication and integrity.
We design, build and execute all in-house, located in Hudsonville, Michigan. Included in our capabilities are advanced manufacturing systems, test equipment, reinforced plastics and prototyping. For more than 30 years, we’ve been designing solutions and creating automation with the very best service and engineering team. Delivering results with pristine accuracy is essential to us.
Altron Automation provides a high tech environment where every project is custom. This is a fast paced and team oriented role. The Technical Writer offers support to the Engineering Department and may be assigned to any area within the engineering department. They will document equipment, internal processes, organize equipment manuals, create operator and maintenance instructions and create training checklists. This includes, but is not limited to compiling technical information and documentation, editing written material, creating maintenance records and files and determining the presentation of subject and content. This role is full time.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the production of machine manuals. Technical writing for special sections for custom machines required.
- Production of video manuals for how-to, troubleshooting, and cycle time verification.
- Review procedures and make suggestions for company standard procedures.
- Assist Engineering Manager in gathering required math data and samples of existing machines for external and internal sources.
- Develop an understanding of the components and machines produced.
- Recognize and record special machine settings to be entered in the machine manual.
- Produce or pursue source for manual covers.
- Select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts to illustrate material.
- Work within our ERP System, IndustriOS.
- Review and create standard formats for manuals.
- Interview assemblers and engineering personnel to ensure special operations are included in the machine manuals.
- Research new technologies related to technical documentation including reading journals and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods.
- Provide for temporary literature storage.
- Assist in maintenance of mechanical and control catalog libraries including the active and archived hard copies.
- Work closely with Program Manager and Engineering Manager.
- Participate in and/or lead activities that promote continuous improvements, Altron’s Total Quality Systems and a safe working environment.
- Minimum of High School diploma or G.E.D.
- Some college in mechanical, electrical, manufacturing or industrial engineering preferred.
- Actively pursuing a minimum of associate’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in technical writing in an automated equipment environment.
- Excellent technical writing and proofreading skills.
- Video documentation skills needed with video editing skills preferred.
- Excellent English communication skills.
- Advanced computer literacy and advanced typing skills.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Strong understanding of automated equipment including how to run machines and how to document cycle times.
- Maintenance background / experience helpful.
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance systems.
- Understanding of panel views and operator interface.
- Understanding of control panels.
- Troubleshooting knowledge.
- Knowledge of machine control practices.
- Strong knowledge of safety, OSHA, MIOSHA, NEMA, NEC and pertinent industry standards and codes.
- Self-starter and self-motivated individual who understands the importance of being a team player to achieve organizational goal and exercises team effort to achieve success.
- Enjoys learning technical material.
- Thrives in a fast paced and changing work environment.
- Thoughtful and respects peers, subordinates, supervisors and customers; able to work in multicultural environments.
- Handles pressure well with a positive attitude.
- Prioritizes and handles many tasks simultaneously and has strong organizational skills.
- Takes pride in company and has concern for corporate image.
Altron offers a full benefit package including Health Care options, HSA, Vision and Dental insurance, 401k, Paid Time Off and more. We are an Employee Owned company with an ESOP Retirement benefit.
See more about us at www.altronautomation.com