Point Broadband is seeking a dynamic, experienced Tower Climber/Technician to join our team.
Candidates must be able to carefully and accurately follow safety and work instructions, organize and track their work via checklists and work procedures, and must be able and willing to climb tall structures with a load of up to 25 pounds while working at altitudes of 300+ feet.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed below:
- Understand and strictly adhere to safety and quality guidelines without deviation.
- Safely and efficiently complete repairs and upgrades at elevated heights. Impacted equipment will be mounted on various structures such as guyed towers, lattice towers, monopole towers, water towers, stealth towers and rooftops.
- Observe and report possible compound / equipment defects or hazards.
- Ensure that Job Hazard Assessment (JHA) requirements are identified, documented and followed.
- Accurately follow instructions and complete assigned course of action in accordance with scope of work and methods of procedures (MOPs) and track work via checklists.
- Accurately and timely document job costs, including labor hours and material.
- Read customer blueprints and execute scope of work per the customer’s specifications.
- Identify potential add-on sales to increase company revenue.
- Troubleshoot, upgrade and expand existing major cellular carrier networks / sites.
- Cellular Radio and Antenna Swaps, Legacy cable plant upgrades from Coaxial Cable to Fiber, Site Upgrades and Capacity Expansion.
- Conduct pre and post work site audits.
- Serve as a rescue climber if and when needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be at least 21 years old, have a valid Driver’s License, and meet Point Broadband’s driver eligibility criteria in order to drive a company vehicle.
- Must successfully complete and pass a pre-employment, post-offer background check, including criminal history check, employment history check, and pre-employment drug screen.
- Must be able to travel outside home market up to 50% of the time; amount of travel could be higher depending on customer projects and business needs.
- Must successfully complete Point or its approved vendor’s tower training program at required level.
- Must be able to work outside of normal business hours, to include nights and weekends, when needed and able to serve in an on-call rotation.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently without continuous supervision with the desire and ability to learn and retain new knowledge.
- Must be a team player and have excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
- Effective written and oral communication skills in the English language for safety reasons.
- Ability to exercise flexibility in challenging and / or perplexing situations.
- Ability to multi-task and maintain composure in stressful and demanding work environment.
- Understanding of basic mechanical terms and tools.
- The ability to use hand tools, power tools and industry test equipment.
- Ability to learn and retain physical and mechanical installation specifications.
- Must have own transportation to get to the job site if required.
- High school Diploma or GED equivalent
- Previous experience in the telecommunications industry
- Minimum years of experience: (1 – 2 Years of Tower Climbing Experience)
- Excellent organizational, mathematical skills, and computer skills
- Ability to multitask and handle numerous assignments simultaneously
- Previous knowledge of networking principals, ethernet standards, power systems, cable testing, and industrial construction is a plus
- Must have high level of computer proficiency, including a working knowledge of all Microsoft Office products.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Frequently required to sit, stand, bend at the knees and waist, and walk
- Required to use hands to type, handle objects and paperwork
- Required to reach and hold on to items at chest level or reach above the shoulder
- Ability to carry, climb and operate ladder
- Required to use close vision and be able to focus
- Must meet certain weight requirements post-offer, pre-employment and during employment in order to comply with equipment manufacturers’ safety standards for working at heights
- Must be able to work at heights from an aerial work platform (AWP) such as man-lifts, boom trucks, cranes & other approved equipment.
- Ability to climb tall structures with a load of up to 25 pounds while working at altitudes of 300+ feet.
- Ability to lift and carry materials that weigh up to 40 pounds for 6-8 hours per work day.
- Ability to identify all colors associated with telecommunications cable and equipment indicator lights.
- Ability to connect and disconnect various sizes and types of electronic connectors
- Ability to push and pull materials and equipment for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand, walk and climb for extended periods of time.
- Perform repetitive movements for extended periods of time.
- Ability to drive long distances on and off road.
- Ability to perform these duties in all weather conditions and climates including heat, cold, rain, etc.
- Ability to work in remote and challenging locations including, but not limited to: rooftops, confined spaces, and all types of geographic locations.