The CNC Operator / Programmer Tier 1 provides the customers with the best possible product through new and innovative manufacturing techniques in an exemplary manner according to the company quality policies.
Qualified candidates will possess the following Minimum Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous experience operating manufacturing machinery
- Ability and desire to enroll in a Tooling and Manufacturing Associate’s program within 6 months of starting work, as well as attending other off-site training classes
- Ability to complete Career Path training and education requirements, including continuous enrollment until program completion within 7 years
- Experience using quality tools such as micrometers, calipers and gages
- Ability to pass written and practical tests to obtain company forklift/hi-lo and crane license
- Proven mechanical inclination and general math and manufacturing knowledge through standardized tests
- Computer literacy
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Must not have a pace-maker
- Previous machine shop experience or shop classes completed desired
- Experience with Manual machining
- Tools for the job preferred or the willingness to acquire throughout the career path.
- An excellent work record, including attendance
(Minimum requirements are updated annually to meet the demands of various positions; employees hired prior to the latest revision update may not meet all current requirements).
Preventative Maintenance/Standardized Work:
- Learn and assist in performing general preventative maintenance to machine such as changing oils, fluids, filters, and coolant, and complete corresponding documentation
- Review daily work center schedule to ensure projects are completed on time, reporting any significant changes to management.
- Record project time information in Electronic Asset Management (EAM) daily.
- Prepare parts for shipment after the machining process is complete.
- Assist Quality with buyoff of product off the CNC machine.
- Work with Floor leaders on programing issues and tool changes.
- Perform other duties as required to support Die Development and CNC needs.
- Cross training with other CNC machines such as our laser and turret machines.
- Begin to become familiar with maintaining stock in CNC tooling crib.
- Program off-line and operate 2D/3D Computer Numerical Controls (CNC) based work centers, including laser, mills, lathe, and/or wire EDM.
- Set up and qualify fixtures for prototype.
Continuous Improvement/Lean Principles:
- Participate in, and support lean initiatives such as continuous improvement events and problem solving events, identifying and eliminating all types of waste. Document cost savings, consolidate processes, and eliminate unnecessary operations.
- Provide departmental support that will increase or maintain organization in Research & Development.
- Suggest and implement ideas to increase personal and departmental efficiency.
- Anticipate problems and work to eliminate them before they happen.
- Participate in 8D and 5-Why problem solving teams, die improvement reviews, and die reviews.
- Follow up temporary fixes with permanent corrective actions.
- Use and maintain quality tools such as calipers, micrometers, height gages, sine blocks, etc. Ensure all laser fixtures are checked and certified, per company standards.
- Run parts according to company quality standards, and in a timely manner.
- Complete prototype control plans per policy.
- Consistently adhere to, and support, company policies and procedures, including ISO, TS 16949 and safety regulations.
- Safely use forklift/hi-lo and cranes, maintaining licenses and inspection sheets.
- Follow all safety procedures, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), controls, safety devices and use of coolants.
- Identify potential safety issues and take appropriate action.
- Organize and maintain personal work area per 5S standards
- Consistently exhibit appropriate attendance habits, working the hours necessary to perform the job.
- Provide necessary, accurate, and timely feedback of all pertinent information to co-workers and management, including training and validating/appraising work as appropriate.
- Effectively communicate with co-workers and management personnel to enhance teamwork and communication initiatives.
- Accept instructions and duties in a positive manner, while treating all co-workers with dignity and respect.
- Assist in maintaining company values (Integrity, People, Customers, Safety and Ownership) daily, through thoughts and actions.