POSITION: Dental Hygienist LICENSED: No
DEPARTMENT: Bay Mills Ellen Marshall Building GRADE: 15
REPORTS TO: Chief Dental Officer and/or Designee STATUS: Exempt
The dental hygienist (DH) primarily provides dental preventive services to patients. These include but are not limited to screening, scaling and root planning, dental prophylaxis, fluoride and sealant applications, and health education. The dental hygienist is a crucial team member to any dental public health program.
- Examines patient oral cavity including the mouth, throat and pharynx, and records conditions of teeth and surrounding tissues.
- Refers patients to the dentist who have abnormalities such as tooth decay, defective fillings, periodontal disease, or any condition that is suspect for oral diseases.
- Under the assignment of a dentist the DH performs complete oral prophylaxis, applies fluoride as needed, cleans and polishes removable dental appliances woRn by patients.
- Performs supra and or sub gingival scaling using hand instrument or the Parkell ultrasonic scaler, performs root planning procedures as needed with a hand instruments.
- Polishes teeth using appropriate brushes or rubber cups and prophylactic paste.
- Exposes, develops and mounts oral x-rays, interprets x-rays to determine area of calculus, periodontal disease involvement and gross dental abnormalities.
- Seats and drapes patients as necessary.
- Checks and maintains instruments to ensure adequate working conditions, cleans, sharpens and sterilizes instruments as necessary.
- Instructs patients or groups in proper oral hygiene care, heath promotion and nutrition using appropriate materials models, equipment and displays.
- Demonstrates proper techniques of brushing, flossing and use of necessary perio aids and explains common causes of tooth decay and its relationship to the general diet.
- Instructs other medical professionals and assistants in oral heath care techniques for bed ridden, handicapped, disabled or chronically ill patients.
- Assists in community prevention programs.
- Electronically send referrals and radiographs to dental specialists, as directed by Dentists.
- Completes follow up appointment form completely and/or schedules patients for follow up visits.
- Other duties may be assigned within the scope and complexity of this position’s essential functions.
- Must attend any and all mandatory trainings offered through the Bay Mills Human Resources Department and Bay Mills Health Center.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, and bend extended periods of time. Work is predominantly performed in a dental clinic setting adequate room temperature, lighting and ventilation. Involves regular and recurring exposure to potential hazards of radiation and infectious disease. May involve travel during inclement weather. May involve travel to field clinics or outreach program sites. May involve providing care to apprehensive or mentally challenged patients that may complicate the treatment process. Personal protective garments will be provided and are required to be worn during the delivery of patient care.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must posses a current State License to practice Dental Hygiene.
- Must posses a degree of certificate of training from and accredited dental hygiene school.
- Previous experience in dental practice or clinic setting is beneficial but not necessary.
- Must successfully pass a background check and must not be excluded from any government program.
- Must be available to work four ten hour days.
- Must be able to travel when required.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Must have an excellent past work record.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each function listed under the essential functions and physical demands categories of this position description