You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Stationary Engineer at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Stationary Engineer, you'll ensure and be accountable for the safe and efficient operation, maintenance, and repair of all Energy Center equipment and systems. You will mentor, lead, and direct the activities of the Boiler Operator. You'll also ensure all activities within the Energy Center during your assigned shift.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Actively upgrade yourskills and keep current with new and existing equipment, systems, and technology.
- Assist in providing temporary coverage for all open shifts during periods of vacation, absence, emergencies, or job openings.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership skills and be responsible for all activities within the Energy Center during your assigned shift.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and well-kept work environment at all times.
- Monitor and administer a safe, effective, and efficient water treatment program for both boiler and cooling water systems.
- Monitor and log all shift activities and operating conditions.
- Monitor the Energy Management System and take appropriate action to address abnormal operating conditions.
- Participatein the planning and achievement of business goals and objectives of the department.
- Perform and/or direct others in the operation, maintenance, and repair of all Energy Center systems and equipment.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentoring for Boiler Operators and other Maintenance personnel.
- Work safely at all times and ensure a safe work environment for all occupants of the Energy Center.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Successfully completed an approved four-year Stationary Engineer apprenticeship program or equivalent.
- A City of Grand Rapids Boiler Engineers License or a NIULPE Second Class Engineers License.
- A valid driver's license and the ability to obtain all necessary wheeled loader, forklift, and aerial lift vehicle licenses.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to manage and resolve conflicts in a positive manner.
- The ability to establish professional and productive relationships with team members, customers, and vendors to achieve positive business results.
- Teamwork and initiative with minimal supervision.
- The flexibility,willingness, and ability to work schedules typical of a continuous power plant operation(12-hour shifts, non-rotating, 7:00 amto 7:00 pmor 7:00 pmto 7:00 an, every other weekend off schedules).
- Proficient welding and piping skills (highly desirable).
- The ability to use the office automation, communication, software, and tools used in the Herman Milleroffice environment.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Hire
Simply put, we hire everyone. Herman Miller is comprised of people of all abilities, gender identities and expressions, ages, ethnicities, sexual orientations, veterans from every branch of military service, and more. Here, you can bring your whole self to work. We're committed to equal opportunity employment, including veterans and people with disabilities.