The Cook and Food and Nutrition Aide prepares food in accordance with current applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, with our established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the Food & Nutrition Manager. The Cook is responsible for preparing, working with and delivering food according to the nutritional needs of the resident. This position provides food and customer service to patients, residents, and personnel while maintaining high standards of quality, sanitation and safety. The Aide position is responsible for providing food service to residents, guests, and employees under sanitary conditions and for providing assistance in all dietary functions as directed and in accordance with established dietary policies and procedures. They assist in the cleaning and organization of the kitchen.
Principal Cook Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and serve various food items.
- Review menus prior to preparations.
- Inspect special diet trays to assure that the correct diet is served to the resident.
- Ensure that all dietary procedures are followed in accordance with established policies.
- Assist in establishing food service production line to ensure that meals are prepared on time.
- Process diet changes and new diets as received from Clinical Services.
- Prepare meals in accordance with planned menus.
- Prepare and serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Serve food in accordance with established portion control procedures.
- Prepare food for therapeutic diets in accordance with planned menus.
- Prepare food in accordance with standardized recipes and special diet orders.
- Review care plans to assure that current dietary information is consistent with foods served.
- Make only authorized food substitutions and prepare and serve substitute foods to residents who refuse foods served.
- Prepare food in accordance with sanitary regulations as well as our established policies.
- Assist/direct daily or scheduled cleaning duties in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the department is maintained in a clean and safe manner by assuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained.
- Assist in maintaining food storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times.
- Ensure that food and supplies for the next meal are readily available.
- Assist in inventorying and storing in-coming food, supplies, etc., as necessary.
- Recommend to the Director of Food and Nutrition Services the equipment and supply needs of the department.
- Assist in food preparation for special meals, parties or events.
Principal Food & Nutrition Aide Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and serve salads and desserts using standardized recipes.
- Set up trays quickly and accurately in a neat, attractive arrangement according to posted menu at food stations on the central tray line.
- Place foods, condiments, serving containers, dishes, silverware, etc., appropriate to meal and resident’s preferences on trays.
- Carefully follow directions in serving modified diets, adhering to mealtime schedules, and following standardized recipes and methods of preparation. Adheres to specified portion controls.
- Deliver cart with food trays to resident areas and assist with tray distribution, as required.
- Return food carts from resident areas to the dishwashing area. Clear trays and wash soiled dishware.
- Prepare appropriate snacks or special nourishments according to specifications and ensure delivery at proper time.
- Maintain good personal hygiene and adhere to uniform requirements. Wear hairnet or hair cap in food service areas.
- Clean work areas and equipment such as counter tops, steam table, coffee urn, and refrigerators.
- Transport garbage to outside receptacle when needed.