Location: Greenville, MI
Reports to: Production Team Leader
Date: March 2021
The Melting Operator is responsible for working safely while operating the aluminum melting machinery. Melting Operators will be involved with key functions within the Melt department in order to meet production needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Follows safety rules 100% of the time.
- Contributes to a safe work environment by following housekeeping guidelines.
- Maintains good attendance.
- Follows instructions and works to meet daily job assignments and KPI’s.
- Strictly follow the instructions during operations, as well as maintenance of the equipment
- Cleaning of working areas
- Operating melting, holding and/or chip furnaces via control panel and manual controls
- Safe operation of a forklift as part of the furnace charge bucket loading process
- Monitoring the melting equipment function
- Applying production control requirements to the loading order of materials
- Logging the amount of materials used, scrap counts and other data
- Transferring molten aluminum or aluminum chips
- Ensuring the proper supply of liquid aluminum is delivered to the casting area
- Monitoring and managing the temperature and quality of aluminum liquid, including performing temperature and composition testing
- Inspecting and preventatively cleaning and maintaining the melting equipment
- Safe operation of a forklift as part of the molten aluminum transfer operation
- Degassing of casting ladles
- Shift inspection of forklifts
- Cleaning of working areas
- Other Relevant work
Skills and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Six months experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to read and understand written documents
- Work safely and follow rules and guidelines for safe work
- Reporting to work on time and with a positive attitude
- Responsible for staying focused on tasks at hand
- Being responsible for work performance and completing tasks throughout the day
- Maintains a good working relationship with co-workers
- Support a positive and steady workflow through the company
- Works with a sense of urgency when needed
- Support, coach or mentor co-workers when needed
- Positively support change throughout the company
Physical Work Conditions
- Must be able to work in a hot environment
- Must be able to lift and move aluminum wheels of varying weight
- Must be able to lift 50 – 65 pounds
- Must be able to stand and walk for up to 12 hours per day
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment when required
*Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.