Under the direction of the clinic Office Manager, the Patient Service Representative serves as the first point of contact between the clinic and patients. Essential duties include providing excellent customer service, patient registration, handling incoming and outgoing calls, scheduling appointments and assisting patients with forms. In addition, the Patient Service Representative must be highly organized and have excellent interpersonal skills. This position operates in a fast pace environment and is considered a crucial link between the patient and care team.
- High school education or equivalent
- Prior administrative or clerical experience in a clinical setting preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology and coding preferred
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Well developed verbal and written communication skills
- Strong telephone skills and etiquette
- Knowledge of basic math and office procedures
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Proven flexibility and willingness to handle a variety of tasks
- Basic computer knowledge and skills
- Experience with computer data entry and strong typing skills
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Welcomes and greets all patients and visitors, in person or over the phone.
- Answers and directs all incoming calls.
- Takes complete and accurate patient messages that need to be relayed to the care team.
- Schedules patient appointments and handles inquires.
- Collaborates with the care team to maintain and improve patient care and service.
- Registers patients according to established protocols and manages assigned work queues.
- Assists patients in completing all necessary forms and documentation.
- Ensures accurate billing information for patients.
- Maintains patient correspondence and follow-up calls.
- Collects payment and reconciles cash draw.
- Ensures reception area, office files and front desk are well maintained.
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Performs other clerical duties as assigned.