You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Commodity Work Team Leader at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Commodity Work Team Leader (WTL), you'll lead a team of Supply Management professionals. You will identify, develop, and implement supplier and product value stream improvement initiatives with assigned suppliers or commodities. Your workwill beaccomplished through the effective use and support of the strategic sourcing, cost targeting, supplier performance planning, supplier development, and Value Analysis/Value Engineering (VAVE) processes.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day asyou...
- Ensure team members understand expected results and the work processes required to achieve expected results. You will maintain an understanding of the actual vs. target achievement for each individual contributor and support them in closing gaps. You'll develop and maintain Human Development A3 for each direct report, which lists the most important training needs necessary to improve performance in the current job. You'll also perform the work of direct reports when required to meet process or learning targets.
- Achieve agreement with the supplier on current cost elements based on facts observable on the shop floor,using anunderstanding of the Herman Miller Performance System (HMPS) to build targets for future attainment.
- Communicate and apply quality and engineering concepts at a high level with both internal and external resources as required.
- Provide cross-functional leadership in the process of conducting strategic sourcing for items or commodities with a value from $5-$30 million.
- Demonstrate anapplication of Lean manufacturing via the HMPS philosophy and tools. You will coach the Plan, Do, Check, and Act (PDCA) process and implement change-over, standard work, and material and information flow to highlight problems, without coaching.
- Develop and implement contracts with a value of $5-$30 million.
- Identify opportunities and collaborate with engineers and suppliers to implement improvements (VAVE).
- Lead and manage at least two professional Supply Management employees with a minimum commodity spend of $50 million.
- Lead thenegotiation of agreements that range in value from $5-$30 million.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Hold responsibility for relationship management at assigned suppliers, andsuccessfully align the suppliers' operating plans to achieve Herman Miller's objectives.
- Hold responsibility for spends of $30-$100 million and at least $700,000 in annual cost savings.
- Travel up to 15 percent of the time, including international travel.
- Understand and apply formal project management principles to your work as appropriate. You will influence others to meet milestones and coordinate work. You'll also lead cross-functional project teams.
- Use market analysis to understand global influences to the supply base and create strategies to leverage these dynamics for Herman Miller's benefit.
- Successfully build and maintain contracts and relationships which span country and/or regional borders. Your work may cross countries or global regions.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Business, Materials Management, Finance, Engineering, or Operations Management. A Master's degree is preferred, and a CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) is desired.
- A minimum ofsix years of experiencein a professional procurement role with exposure to a variety of manufacturing processes and commodities.
- A minimumof threeyears of experience in managing professionals (preferred).
- A working knowledge of all aspects of business operations, including Finance, Accounting, Legal, Manufacturing, Materials Management, Engineering, Quality, etc.
- A demonstrated ability to do complex cost analysis and apply HMPS thinking to supplier process and value streams.
- Demonstrated successful negotiation skills.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
- An understanding of prepared financial statements. You'll also need theability to interpret and assign meaning to income statements, cash flow statements, and balance sheets.
- The ability to work with individuals at various organizational levels within and outside of Herman Miller.
- The ability to think and act quickly, creatively, and independently to resolve major supply disruptions affecting customers.
- The ability to hold your ground when defending a sourcing issue with internal or external people.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools currently being used in the Herman Miller office environment.
- The abilityto perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.