Senior Firmware Engineer
DornerWorks, a leader in embedded systems engineering, is growing and seeks a Senior Firmware Engineer to join our team. Our Separation Technology team is pioneering the use of hypervisors and virtualization in the embedded space. Using hypervisors in embedded applications is relatively new, and our outstanding team is partnering with vendors and customers to apply this novel technology to new products.
Demand for our expertise continues to grow, and we are seeking top-notch technical minds who are comfortable blazing a trail in this emerging technology. As you develop hypervisor functionality, you will become an expert in the open source ecosystems around Xen Project hypervisor, Linux, and the seL4 micro-kernel as you gain advanced understanding of cutting-edge system-on-chips (SoC).
If you are excited by the opportunity to continually hone your technical skills and long for the opportunity to build solutions for challenging problems, this is the position for you.
At DornerWorks’ you can make a difference. Your days will be filled with challenge and variety. Being part of the team at DornerWorks requires talent and commitment to being part of a high functioning team, that you are willing to mentor and be mentored, and that you have the confidence to ask for and give help when needed. Success and innovation at DornerWorks come from working and growing together.
What you will do:
- Engage in the full engineering life cycle focused on development of embedded applications of open source hypervisor technologies, like Xen Project hypervisor and seL4 microkernel, for our customers.
- Devise system architecture and requirements for innovative embedded software products.
- Integrate and validate embedded systems.
- Develop detailed designs to meet customer requirements and specifications.
- Collaborate with the team and customers to deliver standout hypervisor-based solutions.
- Conduct testing and analyses.
- Focus on continuous improvement of technology, tools, and processes.
- Lead technical team on projects
- Communicating frequently with customer, ensuring success of the project
- Mentor colleagues in your areas of expertise
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science required.
- 8+ years of experience with embedded computing platforms.
- Proficiency with C.
- Experience with low level embedded development, such as bootloaders, device drivers, or operating systems.
- Aptitude for learning new technologies and applications.
- Ability to identify problems and develop solutions.
- Unrestricted right to work in the US without requiring sponsorship.
Additional experience we like to see:
- Experience with ARM microprocessors.
- Experience communicating technical details with customers.
- Experience working in a Linux environment using open source toolchains.
- Experience creating or modifying BSPs for real-time operating systems.
- Experience using hypervisors, such as Xen, seL4, Disco, Denali, ESX, or KVM in any environment (cloud, desktop, embedded).
What we offer you:
- The opportunity to have work that is challenging, diverse, engaging, and collaborative
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Healthy work/life balance, at DornerWorks’ that is not just an empty slogan; it is one of our core values
- Compressed work week, with the opportunity to take every other Friday off and flexible hours
- Right now, during these unique times we are experiencing due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working remote (quite successfully we might add). We continue to assess the situation and will consider on going remote work flexibility moving forward.
Learn more about DornerWorks and our culture from our website at www.DornerWorks.com.
Learn more about the great city of Grand Rapids and the natural splendor of West Michigan at: https://hellowestmichigan.com/our-communities/grand-rapids/
DornerWorks believes a diverse workplace yields better ideas and outcomes and we are committed to promoting diversity of experience, perspectives, and capabilities. Each individual makes a unique contribution to our company. We recognize that diversity is critical to our success. DornerWorks proudly supports a culture of inclusion that encourages a work environment that honors diverse opinions. Employees can thrive here, and know their individual skills, abilities and viewpoints are honored.
DornerWorks is an equal opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. EEO/M/F/Disabled/Veteran
This facility operates under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and therefore, any person hired must demonstrate with verifiable documentation that they are either: (i) a U.S. Citizen; (ii) an active Green Card Holder; or (iii) a “Protected Person” as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324 (b)(a)(3).
Keywords: SoC, Xen, seL4, ARM, Freescale, Microchip, Texas Instruments, NXP, RTOS, Linux, VxWorks, QNX, aerospace, defense, medical, automotive, hypervisor, bootloader, Windriver, VxWorks, AE653, Greenhills Integrity, Pike0S, virtualization, VMM, VM, embedded, 32-bit, 64-bit