Processing of specimens received in various Labs. May have equipment maintenance and quality control duties. May handle hazardous chemicals. May perform some data entry, answering phones, inventory, and filing. Duties may include responsibilities specific to assigned department and may vary dependent on assigned site/department
1. Processing specimens: As appropriate for each lab, this may include responsibilities of a Lab Assistant I, plus setting up some cultures, waived testing, reporting results.
2. Equipment maintenance, quality control responsibilities, ordering and maintaining correct chemical levels. This may include the responsibilities of a Lab Assistant I, plus more complex responsibilities.
3. Communicates with healthcare personnel outside of department with regard to reports, clarification of requests, other problems related to specimens, requests, and testing delays
4. Clerical functions to maintain required records, files, and reports pertinent to the functions of a lab. Registration data entry, test order entry, chart review, statistical logs, filing slides, etc. Retrieve incomplete work logs
5. Inventory, order and receive supplies, rotate stock.
6. Any other duties as needed.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
A. Education / Training:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Recommend on line education tutorials in introductory Laboratory topics.
B. Work Experience:
Minimum 6 months laboratory/Laboratory Assistant I experience preferred.
C. Certification, Licensure, Registration: NA
D. Other Qualifications:
Computer / keyboard skills. Familiarity with Medical Terminology and medical processes. Experience as a Laboratory Assistant I recommended if appropriate to assigned department.