Description You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Supplier Development Manager at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Supplier Development Manager, you'll identify, develop, and implement supplier and product value stream improvement initiatives with assigned suppliers or commodities, at the direction of the Commodity Team Leader. This work will be accomplished through the effective use and support of the strategic sourcing, cost targeting, supplier performance planning, supplier development, and value analysis/value engineering (VAVE) processes.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you...
- Communicate quality and engineering information as required with internal and external resources.
- Develop, negotiate, and implement contracts with value of $500k to $5 million.
- Lead strategic sourcing for spends of $500k to $5 million.
- Participate productively and constructively as a member of cross-functional teams as required.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Take responsibility for relationship management with peers at assigned suppliers, with coaching.
- Take responsibility for spends between $10 - $40 million and/or savings of $100k to $1 million in annual, sustainable cost savings.
- Support and coordinate with engineers to implement VAVE improvements.
- Understand and apply formal project management principles to work as appropriate. You will set and meet your own milestones and expectations.
- Understand and interpret cost breakdowns of suppliers. You will achieve agreement with the supplier on current cost elements based on facts observable on the shop floor, with supervision.
- Understand the philosophy and tools of Lean manufacturing via the Herman Miller Performance System (HMPS). You will successfully solve small to medium "on-the-floor" problems using the Plan, Do, Check and Act (PDCA) process, with coaching. You'll also demonstrate the use of change-over, standard work, and material and information tools to highlight problems, with coaching.
- Work primarily within one country or contiguous global region.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Business, Materials Management, Finance, Engineering, or Operations Management. A CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) is desired.
- Four to six years of experience in a professional procurement role with exposure to a variety of manufacturing processes and commodities.
- The ability to use critical thinking to make trade-offs.
- A working knowledge of all aspects of business operations, including finance, accounting, legal, materials management, engineering, quality, manufacturing, etc.
- A demonstrated ability to do cost analysis and a willingness to learn and apply HMPS thinking to supplier process and value streams.
- Demonstrated successful negotiation skills.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
- A basic understanding of prepared financial statements.
- Skills to work with varying levels inside and outside of Herman Miller.
- A demonstrated ability to think and act quickly and creatively to resolve major supply disruptions affecting customers.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools currently being used in the Herman Miller office environment.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
Employee Status: Regular
Work Schedule: 8am-5pm
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Zeeland