Position: Early Childhood Specialist – Practice-Based Coach ___
Classification: HS 01-04 ($20.06 - $21.17 - $22.28 - $23.38) ___
Work Hours: 40/week
Work Weeks: 44-52 _____
Supervisor: Practice-Based Coach-Team Supervisor
Positions Supervised: _None__
Essential Function of the Job
Under the direction of the Practice-Based Coach - Team Supervisor, the Early Childhood Specialist - Practice-Based Coach (ECS-PBC) provides practice-based coaching in accordance with Head Start Program Performance Standards and EightCAP, Inc. 0-5 Head Start coaching procedures. The ECS-PBC collaborates with 0-5 Head Start staff to create shared goals and action plans that embed effective teaching practices into the daily work of 0-5 Head Start staff.
Examples of Work
(Any one position may not include all duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in the position of this class.)
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards, Creative Curriculum, TS GOLD, CLASS, Conscious Discipline, DECA, ASQ, Partners for a Healthy Baby, and the Child Plus data management system.
- Familiarize and follow all policies, procedures, and requirements as set forth in Head Start Program Performance Standards, The State of Michigan Licensing Rules for Child Care Centers, and Foundations for Quality.
- Develop and maintain collaborative partnerships with 0-5 Head Start staff that encourage growth and mastery of focused teacher and home visitor practices.
- Regularly review and evaluate data pertaining to program goals, 0-5 classrooms, home-based caseloads, and enrolled children; utilizing the data to develop individualized shared goals and action plans with 0-5 Head Start staff.
- Prepare, facilitate and accurately document practice-based coaching interactions with 0-5 Head Start staff and submit to supervisor as directed.
- Conduct, document, and share meaningful reflection and feedback of regular focused observations with 0-5 Head Start staff, as appropriate, to drive the coaching process.
- Collaboratively create individualized shared goals and action plans with 0-5 staff that are based on data, staff interest, and program goals.
- Provide effective coaching to 0-5 Head Start staff by following the Practice-Based Coaching model and program expectations.
- Provide meaningful curriculum-based resources, modeling, roleplaying, focused observations, and/or reflection and feedback as needed to encourage growth and mastery of teacher and home visiting practices.
- Work with teaching staff to incorporate behavior strategies that have been suggested for children.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and trainings, as directed by supervisor.
- Act in a professional manner at all times, which includes maintaining professional boundaries with 0-5 Head Start staff, parents, children, volunteers, and community members.
- Communicate positively with children, parents, volunteers, staff, and community members in verbal and non-verbal interactions.
- Understand and comply with the EightCAP, Inc. Confidentiality Policy, Code of Conduct, and Professional Standards.
- When necessary, fill in as a substitute teacher for 0-5 Head Start classrooms and busses, as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements of Work
- Sound knowledge of the Head Start Performance Standards, child development, and early childhood education best practices.
- Proven capability to show leadership, observe professional standards, and lead by example.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with 0-5 Head Start staff, families, volunteers, agency representatives, and community organizations.
4. Capacity to organize and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to create, follow, and document own schedule in a judicious manner.
- A valid Michigan driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record.
- Absence of exclusionary findings on a Comprehensive Criminal History Check.
Required Minimum Training and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development or related field.
- Experience and training in adult learning strategies.
- Previous experience working in a comprehensive early childhood program preferred.