Description of Company
Barr is a consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, process, and restore natural resources across North America and around the world. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s. Today, we have over 900 employees across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, fuels, public, and manufacturing sectors, as well as attorneys, developers, and others with complex problems.
Why Choose Barr?
If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment, focuses on providing exceptional client service, offers the opportunity to work on challenging projects, and makes employee safety a top priority, Barr is the place for you. In addition to a highly competitive benefits package, we offer mentor and coaching programs to help our employees develop and grow their careers, along with opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.
The person selected for this position will undertake diverse and challenging work focused on providing environmental support to fast-paced fuels, mining, manufacturing, and power clients. The position requires strong problem-solving and communication skills and drive to combine technical background with regulatory framework to develop solutions to meet client objectives for water/waste/air regulatory program requirements. Assignments may include working as an individual or as part of a team to assist with emission and mass balance calculations, permit applications, compliance documentation, and regulatory and technical analysis memos. Onsite client support opportunities may require out-of-town travel.
- BS degree in chemical engineering
- Intrinsic motivation with an emphasis on client service and interest in growing a career in environmental consulting
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with project team members, regulators, and clients
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills including attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong computer skills, including the use of spreadsheets
- Willingness to travel and periodically adjust personal schedule to meet project needs
- Acceptable driving record
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Internship or post-college professional experience in industry, environmental agency or environmental consulting
- High level of proficiency working in data systems
- Experience working with regulations and environmental permitting
- Project or task management skills
- Demonstrated effectiveness in building working relationships across multi-dimensional teams
- Aptitude for developing client relationships and business
NOTE: Applicants must be able to work in locations that feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and to enter and work within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, high temperature and pressure process equipment, and other conditions typical of large industrial facilities. Job assignments may involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. An OSHA-mandated physical exam may be required; safety training will be provided.
Barr is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other lawfully protected status.