Hastings Manufacturing Co.
Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
VP of Operations
Chemical Lab Tech, Yard Gang
The information below is intended to describe the general content of and requirement for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the essential functions.
Position Summary (Mission):
Ensure regulatory compliance for all environmental and hygiene requirements of the facility. Ensure that Lab Tech and Yard Gang appropriately handle complex lab functions and hazardous & non-hazardous chemicals, metal processing throughout our manufacturing facility. Implement policies and procedures for improvements in chemical processing methods, equipment, operating procedures and working conditions. Responsible for all the Company’s efforts toward a safe working environment. Works to ensure that all activities are within the confines of Company policies, procedure, values, regulations and labor agreements.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: (Duties include but are not limited to)
- Prepare, review and update environmental reports.
- Collaborate with lab tech, hazardous waste technicians, and engineers to address environmental concerns. Seek out expert opinions as needed.
- Obtain, update, and maintain plans, permits, and standard operating procedures.
- Coordinate and manage environmental protection programs and projects, assign and evaluate work.
- Review and update programs and procedures to ensure operational effectiveness and compliance with environmental regulations.
- Develop proposed project objectives and targets. Report to management on progress in attaining them.
- Provide support for projects by collecting data, providing project documentation, training staff, and ensure that required administrative duties are complete.
- Develop site-specific spill contingency plans – including methods for loading and transporting waste.
- Prepare hazardous waste manifests and land disposal restriction notifications.
- Serve as liaison with federal, state, and local agencies and other officials on issues pertaining to solid and hazardous waste program requirements.
- Design systems, processes, and equipment for control, management, and remediation of water, air, and soil quality.
- Direct and serve on the teams conducting inspections at our facilities - aid with planning, quality assurance, safety inspection protocols, and sampling.
- Develop and present environmental compliance training or new hire orientation as needed.
- Maintain, write, and revise quality systems environmental and hygiene documentation and procedures.
- Subject matter expert on Chrome, formaldehyde and other plating/coating methods.
- Primary source for Chrome and Foundry related employee training, secondary for employee safety training.
- Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Provide technical level support for environmental remediation and litigation projects, including investigation support, remediation system design and determination of regulatory applicability.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise subordinates to maximize success.
- Ensure time-keeping duties are completed on time and accurately. Establish an environment and culture that promotes safety in the workplace.
- Provide appropriate support and training to ensure department is compliant with all applicable OSHA and TS requirements.
- Lead member of Safety Committee – responsible to timely reporting and follow up of inspection, investigation and employee complaints.
- Develop constructive relationships with vendors, contractors, consultants and governmental agency representatives as necessary.
- Meet budgetary goals for this function.
- Work with peers, superiors and subordinates to insure the development and execution of the department/operating plan.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Skills & Experience Required:
- We expect all team members to exhibit our guiding principles, all day, every day – Respect, Dedication, Integrity, Teamwork and Positivity.
- Achieve and maintain the following certifications
- 40-hour Hazwoper certification
- OSHA First responder awareness level/hazmat team training certification
- EPA Hazardous waste training certification
- DOT hazardous materials training certification
- Michigan 5B core cooling tower certification
- Black oxide training certification
- First aid, CPR AED certified
- degree or equivalent in a chemical related field, or 8 plus years of progressive chemical process manufacturing experience and increasing responsibilities.
- Able to use scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options.
- Knowledge of and experience with CMMS (computerized maintenance management system)
- Thorough understanding of OSHA and other relevant safety regulations and practices (Hygiene, Chromium, Formaldehyde, Lockout/Tag out, HazCom, Storm water etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to conceive, develop and implement cost savings efforts and support budgetary requirements of the department.
- Must be able to get a hilo and lift license (possess current driver’s license).
- Must have a hands-on leadership style.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
Physical Demands (office positions)
This position would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. This position may require walking primarily on a level surface for periods of time as well as reaching above shoulder heights or below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques are required. This position may occasionally lift to 25 35 pounds throughout the day.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use corrected vision, talk or hear. The employee is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms – above, at and below the waist. The position rarely involves sitting. This position will include walking long distances, moving about in a work area with bending, twisting, turning and reaching.
Work Environment (factory positions)
This job operates within a plant environment subject to indoor factory conditions; heated in winter and non-air conditioned in summer.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud. May have to transfer product from one building to another.