This is an immediate vacancy and all qualified Applicants are encouraged to apply
Michigan Families need your help*......*
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster.
See complete position description here: Position Description
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?"at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature=youtu.be prior to applying for this position. **Attach no more than a 1 page written response to the following questions after viewing the video.__
- _If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be? _
- _How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge? _ Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, forensic psychology, interdisciplinary studies in social science, education, community development, law enforcement, behavioral science, gerontology, special education, education of the emotionally disturbed, education of the gifted, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, counseling psychology, criminal justice, human services, or in a human services-related counseling major. OR Possession of a bachelor's degree in any major with at least 30 semester (45 term) credits in one or a combination of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, forensic psychology, interdisciplinary studies in social science, education, community development, law enforcement, behavioral science, gerontology, special education, education of the emotionally disturbed, education of the gifted, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, counseling psychology, criminal justice, human services, or in a human services-related counseling major. Experience
Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Position Job Specification
Additional Requirements and Information
When you apply, your application is valid for 6 months. After 6 months, you MUST reapply for continued consideration.**
This position is located in Muskegon Heights at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services at 2700 Baker St., Muskegon Heights, MI 49444
Why Muskegon County?
Muskegon County is a diverse location that offers:
- A population according to the US Census (2015) of: 172,790
- A Median Household Income (2014) of: $41,842
- Michigan's largest amusement park and water park - Michigan's Adventure - featuring over 60 rides and attractions.
- The Lake Express Ferry runs each year from late April to October offering round trips between Milwaukee, WI to Muskegon, MI.
- Muskegon Winter Sports Complex & Luge offers winter sports such as skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and a winter luge.
- 3 State parks, 8 county parks, and 26 miles of Lake Michigan coastline in the area
- The Pere Marquette Beach, a nationally certified clean beach
- Many sailing adventures, charters, fishing charters, boat/kayak rentals, as well as marinas and yacht clubs
- Cruises such as the Port City Princess and Torresen Marine, Inc.
- Over 15 golf courses, including mini-golf, disc golf, and traditional golf.
- Bowling, gun clubs, hunting reserves, ORV trails, skate parks, and much more makes Muskegon County the place to be for everyone!
- For more information on Muskegon County, please visit: http://visitmuskegon.org/
PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS CAREFULLY, To be considered for this position you must:
- Apply for this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment.Dates of employment should include month and year and hours per week.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s).*We accept scanned copies of official* transcripts.Please see the example below. We do not accept copies of unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the institution, confirmation that a degree was awarded and on what date, and the registrar's signature. Select this link to see an example of an official transcript.
- As a Condition of Employment -this position requires a valid driver's license and successful completion of a background investigation including fingerprinting and a criminal records check.
- Applications will be screened on information provided on the application itself. Please include your resume and cover letter for additional consideration, but it will not be accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- During the online application process any additional documentation that is required must be attached from your master profile to the individual application.
- Upon hire, the successful candidate will be required to complete a nine week pre-service training program that includes a total of 270 hours of competency-based classroom and field training. Additionally, the employee must successfully complete a minimum number of hours of in-service training on an annual basis. YOUR APPLICATION FOR ANY POSITION DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE CONTACTED BY THE DEPARTMENT/AGENCY FOR FURTHER CON