In this role, you will have numerous responsibilities – including repair of damaged parts or reverse engineering parts beyond repair to manufacture direct replacements, modify existing parts and machine new parts from samples or prints. You will have a chance to utilize a wide variety of materials ranging from 300 series stainless, tool and alloy steels and engineered plastics or composites. You will utilize both manual and CNC machinery to manufacture parts, you will use metal shears, brakes, punches and welders to fabricate parts.
You will partner with maintenance employees, production employees and engineering to provide the parts requested for individual jobs and project work. Occasionally you may assist on the production plant floor with set up and equipment trouble shooting. This position will require both scheduled and unscheduled availability for emergency work and planned project work on weekends, with the department determining which days will comprise the 40-hour work week based upon production and scheduling demands. This role may require scheduled and unscheduled overtime that may be mandatory.
What skills and background will be important to be successful:
- High School Diploma and completion of a certified apprenticeship program with a Journeyman Certification or an Associate degree and 4 years of machining experience. Preference is 6 years of experience and completion of a certified apprenticeship program with Journeyman Certification. Documented schooling and years of service can be submitted for review as a substitute to a formal apprenticeship program.
- Experience running manually operated equipment such as lathes, mills, grinders, saws, and drill presses.
- Experience working with Mazak CNC Lathe’s and Mill’s with T-plus, M-Plus, Smooth and Fusion controls as well as Haas CNC Mill controls. Ability to set up and run multiple machines at a time, ability to program off and online.
- CAD/CAM design and programming software, preferably MasterCam and Solid Works CAD.
- Tig and Mig welding experience would be a plus, as would prior soldering and brazing experience.
- An understanding of CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) machines with Faro Arm experience.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude and experience with packaging production equipment including change parts manufacturing.
- Experience building and designing special machines and fixtures.
- Planning and estimating job cost for material and labor.
- Strong interactive communication skills and experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- A willingness to aquire advanced skill levels through personal effort and training on and off the job. Example CAD/CAM classes through local college, welding certificate, crane operation, fork lift license etc.