This position is part of Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, Real Estate Operations department and will provide maintenance and building improvement support to over 100 buildings and 500,000 square fee of space at KBS. this support covers the following diverse infrastructure: commercial, research & labs, farms & dairy, community outreach, hospitality services and residential. Support can also be defined as carpentry, mechanical, plumbing, structural, electrical, etc. After hours and weekend support is occasionally required.
This position is located in Hickory Corners which is located between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, Michigan (about 65 miles from MSU’s main campus in East Lansing).
This position will engage in high performing, leading edge practices, valuing people, partners and stewardship. At IPF, we are committed to fostering an equitable, inclusive culture; engaging and hiring a diverse workforce.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
- Working knowledge of repair methods, equipment, and tools of the various building trades is necessary.
- Two years of satisfactory experience as a Maintenance Worker I or an equivalent combination of technical training and experience is necessary.
- Possession of a valid Michigan vehicle operator''s license(s) is necessary.
- Supply own tools.
- Frequent lifting of 26 to 75 pounds is required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite products
- Experience with a work order management program
- Experience with customer service
- Experience and knowledge of facilities operations and or farm operations
A creative and innovative lifelong learner with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population; able to problem solve within a collaborative team environment; ability to understand different perspectives while utilizing expert knowledge of the technical operations of the job.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover Letter are required.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
This position is at Kellogg Biological Station in Hickory Corners, MI - approximately 65 miles from main campus.
Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm and may require after-hours, weekend and holiday work. During peak workloads, overtime may be necessary. Employee must live within a 45 minute response time for emergency repair, if appointed to on ca
KELLOGG BIOLOGICAL STATION
Summary of Physical Demands
- Lifting equipment and tools within workspace to and from vehicle.
- Lifting structural materials such as wood, drywall, glass within workspace to and from vehicle.
- Carrying equipment and tools from vehicle to job site.
- Carrying infrastructure materials such as wood, drywall, glass from vehicle to job site.
- Climbing ladder to perform repairs such as light replacements, exterior structure repairs, etc.
- Climbing stairs as several buildings are multiple storied locations.
Summary of Health Risks
- Exposure to human blood, serum, tissue and other body fluids; and materials covered under Universal Precautions.
- TB risk or work within 3 feet of human patients in a health care setting or have potential exposure to animal or specimens with Mycobacterium Bovis.
- Work with animals or unfixed animal tissue.
Wear a respirator (does not include paper dust mask worn for comfort).
Work in noisy (at or above 85 decibels) areas.
Risks that have been identified by Environmental Health and Safety: