ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
The Proposal Engineer / Estimator will be responsible for developing detailed quotations in regard to Capital Equipment and Manufacturing Tooling used in the fabrication and assembly of automotive (and non-automotive) components. The Estimator will be instrumental in the selection of manufacturing processes based on the customer provided RFQ / Specifications and the development of competitive proposals that generate profitable and winning projects. This position will work directly with the VP of Operations, Senior Estimator, Process Engineers, Sales and Project Managers to manage the RFQ / Proposal In a manner that meets the customer requirements (cost, timing, quality), maximizes our company objectives (cost, margin, quality) while delivering overall satisfaction to both the Customer and our Stakeholders.
- Analyze RFQ / Project Scope requirements and coordinate them with our Process Engineering team.
- Define or assist in defining manufacturing process steps and sequences of operations
- Construct cost estimates of material and manufacturing costs by reviewing functional information, engineering drawings and customer specifications.
- Coordinate Project controls requirements with Controls Engineering Staff (System, PLC, Pipe & Wire) and integrate associated costs into the proposal cost and summary sheets.
- Solicit competitive sources (or assist Purchasing) if required for; Purchased Capital Equipment, raw materials and outside services.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals / sales presentations that explain; proposed process / system, project and end-user requirements.
- Perform other tasks as required and assigned by Management (Customer meetings, Project line-ups, End-User Plant Visits etc.).
EDUCATION / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 7-10 years of cost estimation / proposal experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree (Engineering or Business) or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a variety of manufacturing processes (Robotic, Fixtures, Cells, General Capital) and latest technologies used within the processes.
- Metal stamping, assembly experience preferred (Automotive)
- Ability to read Blueprints (Product / Machine Detail / Machine Layouts / Facility)
- Ability to comprehend customer requirements from specifications / RFQ’s and integrates each into competitive project estimates and detailed proposals.
- GD&T knowledge / experience are preferred.
- Experience or background in Project / Program management and a comprehensive understanding of Project Management tools and procedures as they relate to the development of (Design/Build/Install) manufacturing systems.
- MS Office: Computer Proficiency with standard software packages, including Word, Power Point, Project, Outlook and Excel.
- Must have the ability to create formal proposal documents that are presentable to our customers (Word Documents, PowerPoint, Project etc.).
- Ability to create and / or use costing templates (Excel) and provide; Detail summaries (Total Cost- Labor/Material/Outside Services), what-if scenarios in relation to overall Project Margin (using Direct O/H, Variable Cost & Profit Drivers).
- Must have the ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects / proposals and coordinate customer directed quote timelines to ensure timely completion with minimal supervision.
- Sense of urgency and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with customers and suppliers in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated detail orientation, judgment and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and successfully complete proposals with minimal oversight required.
- Engineering Change / Cost Change Experience, ability to effectively negotiate with customers.
- Conflict resolution skills and the ability to handle difficult situations (internal / external) in a professional manner.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of MS Office products.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.