$12.30/hour is paid during training; $15.87/hour after successful completion of training (7 weeks)
SMART is actively looking for customer-focused, drivers that LOVE to work with the public! So if you love people and like to drive, then this may be a great opportunity for you.
We are looking to fill multiple throughout our service area in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties.
SMART Benefits Includes:
- Competitive benefits package, healthcare savings program (post-employment), defined benefit pension plan, employee transportation pass, paid vacation, holidays and personal leave days, tuition reimbursement and other career opportunities.
Under general direction, the Connector Bus Operator operates motor coaches to transport passengers in a safe, efficient and courteous manner. The Connector Bus Operator is responsible for collecting fares and completing necessary inspections and reports.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates motor coaches subject to departmental rules, regulations, schedules, and local and state traffic regulations, keeping radio dispatcher aware of status and location.
- Maintains professional image and performs duties in courteous, friendly manner emphasizing positive customer relations.
- Responsible for the safe loading, transport and unloading of passengers.
- Assists passengers, particularly the elder and handicapped persons, in boarding or exiting vehicle as necessary, including operation of wheelchair lift and wheelchair restraints.
- Judges best way to route vehicle from place-to-place in demand-responsive service.
- Provides schedule, route, fare, directional and general information to customers.
- Responsible for collecting proper fares, inspecting passes, receiving and issuing transfers.
- Submits written reports on accidents and may be required to serve as witness regarding same.
- Performs related work as required.