Qualified candidates will possess the following Minimum Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Previous experience setting up, adjusting, and troubleshooting dies, sensors, and auxiliary equipment
- Previous experience using and programming a Smart Pac and operating automatic metal stamping presses
- Proven mechanical inclination, general math knowledge, and computer literacy through standardized tests
- The ability to operate a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM)
- P&C Hi-lo/forklift and crane licenses, or the ability to pass both written and practical tests to obtain them
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- The ability to lead and work well in a team environment
- The ability to provide detailed documentation of tooling, sensor, press, and other related issues
- The ability and desire to attend job-related classes
- The ability to lift 50 pounds
- Must not wear tinted safety glasses or have a need for tinted safety glasses
- An excellent work record, including attendance
Outstanding candidates will possess the following Desired Requirements:
- Proficiency with Vulcan or other production tracking system
- Previous experience programming servo-driven systems
The Primary Activities of the Setup Technician include:
- Monitor production requirements, schedule work for the area, and report production via the electronic production tracking system.
- Enter production information into the tracking system and work with Information Systems Support team to troubleshoot and eliminate tagging and inventory issues.
- Ensure all team members understand and follow all standard work instructions to promote the production of quality product.
- Prepare presses and work sites for set up using standard work. Prepare, install, set up, and remove dies according to set up instructions and documented standard work.
- Validate process parameters and enter system deviations when applicable.
- Teach operators to identify and properly tag and label different types of scrap.
- Consistently follow safety procedures during all phases of work: setup, installation of dies, loading material, operating presses, troubleshooting, and using die carts, using approved controls, safety devices, and coolants. Identify potential safety issues and take appropriate action.
- Become the focal point for knowledge and ensure all employees within the department receive the proper training and development. Demonstrate good communication skills and competency when providing troubleshooting guidance to team members and when directing the work of others.
- Troubleshoot dies, sensors, poke yoke, and controls in the hand feed presses and communicate relevant issues to maintenance or the tool room.
- Ensure that backup tooling, material, fixtures, containers, etc. are pre-staged in designated areas and ready in order to minimize downtime at set up.
- Assist operators to improve setup times and meet production goals by implementing and tracking quick die change techniques, end of run inspection with Die Technicians, and production improvements.
- Set up poke yoke and test functionality during press / die setup when available.
- Ensure that end of run tagging is completed properly at the end of each run. Return all paperwork, gages, and dies to their proper locations at the completion of each changeover.
- Operate department Hi-lo or cranes as needed and comply with all hi-lo/crane safety procedures. Review Hilo and crane maintenance check sheet before each shift. Report any safety issue to the Team Leader and / or safety director in a timely manner.
- Become the focal point for knowledge and ensure all employees within the department receive the proper training and development. Demonstrate good communication skills and competency when providing troubleshooting guidance to team members and when directing the work of others. Provide necessary, accurate, and timely feedback of all pertinent information to co-workers and management.
- Perform all activities as directed by the Production Manager or Team Leader. Assume the responsibilities of the Team Leader in his or her absence.
- Assist in teaching new operators how to accurately and efficiently perform their jobs, and then evaluate and contribute their performance information to departmental leadership.
- Assist the Team Leader in the employee evaluation process to ensure detailed and comprehensive input.
- Communicate with team members from other shifts to enhance teamwork and improve throughput. Lead five minutes stand-up meetings to communicate various department and company information.
- Perform necessary duties to obtain first good piece as it relates to meeting quality requirements. Approve and sign off on first / last piece after operator has completed the checks.
- Perform layered audits as directed by the Production Manager or Team Leader.
- Perform capability run pre-stage and setup.
- Drive cost of quality initiatives through scrap, rework, and sort reductions.
- Lead and participate in problem-solving teams such as 8D corrective actions for customer concerns and process problem-solving to enhance process quality and efficiency.
Continuous Improvement/Lean Principles:
- Drive lean initiatives including 5S, Kanban, quick changeover, standardized work, Error Proofing, problem solving, Six Sigma, and CIA events; ensure department maintains minimum acceptable scores for 5S.
- Work with operators to improve set up and production, including quick die change techniques and end of run inspection with die techs.
- Implement annual cost saving goals as set by the Production Manager.
- Participate in the development and implementation of successful action plans to achieve temporary and permanent corrective actions, as needed.
- Consistently adhere to, and support, policies and procedures, including ISO, TS16949, and safety regulations; assist in investigating and documenting potential infractions.
- Consistently exhibit appropriate attendance habits, working the hours necessary to perform the job.
- Organize and maintain efficiency of personal work area.
- Give and accept instructions and duties in a positive manner, treating all co-workers with dignity and respect.
- Assist in maintaining P&C values (Integrity, People, Customers, Ownership, We can if.., Do what it takes…Safely) daily, through thoughts and actions.