The below Job Description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, and is subject to changes and exceptions at the discretion of senior management.
JOB TITLE: Optometric Office Technician / Medical Office Administrator
REPORTS TO: Store General Manager
FLSA STATUS: Hourly; Non-Exempt
The major responsibility of the Optometric Office Technician is to assist the Managing Optometrist in the technical and administrative operation of an optometric practice. The position will interact with patients/customers by delivering an exceptional patient/customer experience, foster patient/customer retention, and promotes outstanding associate/doctor satisfaction.
OPTOMETRIC OFFICE TECHNICIAN
The Optometric Office Technician plays a key role in the optometric practice. Their duties may include the utilization of computerized medical office software, administrative office procedures, health insurance processing billing and transcription of medical reports.
An Optometric Office Technician role may combine skills of a medical office administrator, medical billing and collections, appointment scheduler or medical records clerk and direct patient care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Taking patient medical histories
- Preparing patients for examinations
- Administering tests prior to the eye exam
- Assisting doctors during examinations
Administrative Job Duties
- Greeting and directing patients
- Answering telephones
- Updating and maintaining Electronic Medical Records
- Obtaining insurance verification and authorization
- Adjust scheduling for priority patients
- Scheduling appointments
- Processing insurance claim forms
- Patient and insurance billing
- Optometric medical billing and coding
- Vision insurance billing and coding
- Accounts receivable and accounts payable
*The Clinical Skills can be learned on the job. No experience with clinical skills is necessary to apply.
Occasional travel locally, within 25 mile radius. QUALIFICATIONS: Experience, Competencies and Education
Ability to provide enthusiastic and concise communication to meet/exceed customer expectations as well as foster positive and results-oriented associate, doctor and host relationships.
- Ability to manage priorities through adaptability, willingness to take calculated risks, and follow-up.
- Experience with personal computers preferred.
- Valid State Driver's License and State Minimum Insurance coverage.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or comparable experience typically achieved with a minimum of 1-2 years in a retail setting.