Headquartered in Zeeland, MI with over 70 years of industry leadership, Walters Gardens Inc. (WGI) is North America’s leading grower of perennials. We view our greenhouse as an essential building block for our ability to offer our customers a broad range of greenhouse liners and bare root perennials. It is our extensive knowledge and expertise in both greenhouse growing, field growing, and hybridizing that sets us apart.
With efficiency, quality, and integrity, WGI uses tissue culture (TC), unrooted cuttings (URC) and our facilities to produce and develop innovative perennials for the growing marketplace. A powerhouse partnership between WGI and the #1 plant brand in the world, Proven Winners (PW), has created the top destination for growers looking for outstanding genetics in top performing perennials.
About the Opportunity:
Section Grower’s responsibilities would include:
- Daily assistance in monitoring seed plugs to determine if it is necessary to irrigate plants based on WG moisture levels.
- Understand growing areas to help manage irrigation boom and growing environments.
- Learn and help manage seeder to make sure seeds are planted uniformly in the trays.
- As seeds germinate, work with others to make sure seed trays are patched in a timely manner.
- Review fertility test results with supervisor and make adjustments to meet crop needs.
- Assist IPM department by identifying insects, crown gall, diseases, or pathogens on seed product.
- Help plant health department with spray applications on seed product.
- Help develop plant growth regulator program for seed plugs to improve quality of product.
- Work with staff on setting up plant growth regulator trials.
- Offer support for the planning of space and duration of items in the seed greenhouses.
- Participate in meetings and educational events when directed by supervisor.
- Assist with weekend and holiday watering schedules.
- When time allows, help other employees/departments complete daily tasks.
- 2+ years of Greenhouse/Nursery growing experience and
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or related field preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish and English plus
- Strong organizational skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Pesticide Applicator License beneficial