The Certified Nursing Assistant provides quality nursing care to residents. They coordinate work within the department, as well as with other departments, report pertinent information to the immediate supervisor, and assists immediate supervisor with tasks to support department operations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides quality nursing care to residents in an environment that promotes their rights, dignity, freedom of choice and individuality.
· Provides individualized attention, which encourages each resident’s ability to maintain or attain the highest practical physical, mental and psychosocial well-being.
· Is knowledgeable of the individualized care plan for residents, and provides support to the residents according to their care plan. Contributes to the care planning process by providing the charge nurse or other care planning staff with specific information and observations of the residents’ needs and preferences.
· Attends to the individual needs of residents, which may include assistance with grooming, bathing, oral hygiene, feeding, incontinent care, toileting, colostomy care, prosthetic appliances, transferring, ambulation, range of motion, communicating or other needs in keeping with the individuals’ care plan.
· Maintains the comfort, privacy, and dignity of residents in the delivery of services to them. Interacts with residents in a manner that displays warmth and promotes a caring environment. Tidy rooms and change bed linen as necessary.
· Fully understands all aspects of residents’ rights, including the right to be free of restraints and free of abuse. Is responsible for promptly reporting to the charge nurse or administrator incidents or evidence of resident abuse or violation of residents’ rights.
· Assists in maintaining a safe, neat and clean environment; reports environmental deficiencies to the Environment Plant Manager such as lighting or equipment problems.
· Protects the personal belongings of each resident, including eyeglasses, dentures, hearing aids, furnishings, jewelry, clothing and memorabilia. Promptly reports missing items according to established policy and participates in efforts to locate missing items.
· Observes residents for changes in condition or behavior and promptly reports these changes to the Charge Nurse.
· Provides care that maintains each resident’s skin integrity to prevent pressure ulcers, skin tears and other damage by changing incontinent residents, turning, repositioning immobile residents and by applying moisturizers to fragile skin and other areas.
· Answers residents’ call lights promptly and courteously.
· Performs various tasks assigned by the charge nurse, including checking vital signs, weighing residents, applying creams/ointments and collecting specimens.
· Assists with orienting residents and their families to the nursing home on admission and to the unit when transfers occur.
· Lifts, moves, and transports residents, using proper body mechanics or lifting devices for accident prevention. Also use wheelchairs, slide boards, walkers, and canes as required.
· Communicates and interacts effectively and tactfully with the residents, visitors, families, peers
· Assists and escorts residents for appointments such as at the beauty shop or attending activities or church services. Participates in activities and functions as directed.
· Completes documentation of care provided or other information in PCC in accordance with department policies.
· Performs all job responsibilities in accordance with prescribed safety and infection control procedures, including thorough hand washing, use of disposable gloves where indicated and proper disposal of soiled materials
· Attend staff meetings and in-services as requested.
· Answer incoming calls when necessary and direct calls appropriately.
· Perform other tasks as required.