Position:Housing Resource Specialist – Support Services for Veteran Families (Gratiot/Isabella Counties)
Work Weeks: 52
Work Hours: 40/week
Immediate Supervisor: Housing Programs Specialist
Essential Functions of the Job:
Assist very low income Veteran Families by providing a range of supportive services designated to promote housing stability. Provide eligible Veteran families with outreach, case management, and assistance in obtaining VA and other benefits. Protect the privacy of families and hold in confidence all information obtained in the course of service.
Examples of Work:
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in the position of this class.)
1. Provide case management to all program participants and provide follow up support as needed after participants obtain needed emergency services.
2. Maintain positive relationships with service providers and their customers.
3. Design an Individualized Housing/Service Plan for each participant.
4. Complete all record keeping requirements along with daily charting of case notes and assigned program documentation.
5. Work with homeless households to identify potential eligibility for mainstream resource benefits (e.g. TANF, VA, SSI, FS, CDC, Medicaid, WIC, MI-Child, etc) and assist in program enrollment.
6. Conduct a housing search and placement activities designed to assist participants in locating, obtaining and retaining housing which may include credit counseling.
7. Perform Habitability Standards inspections on all potential rental units.
8. Monitor program participant progress and provide support when needed.
9. Assure the rights of participants are protected.
10. Conduct data collection and evaluation via the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS).
11. Provide DBA FACSPro data entry for each client served.
12. Travel throughout service district as needed. Overnight travel may be required for trainings.
13. Participate in personal and professional development activities.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements of Work:
1. Must have proficient computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet)
2. Knowledgeable of delivering quality programs in a multi service setting.
3. Strong communication and organizational skills to work as a team player in a fast paced environment.
4. Assure that information is processed in a timely manner, and prepare and disseminate required reports to supervisor and others.
5. Willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
6. Successful clearance of DHS Central Registry and criminal history record check.
7. Willingness and ability to travel outside of the office to trainings and meet with clients in their homes.
8. Ability to deal pleasantly and professionally with the public, program participants and co-workers.
9. Possess a valid Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
10. Satisfactory review of the Criminal History Check and DHS Clearance.
Required Minimum Training and Experience:
1. Minimum of three years experience or Associate’s degree or higher in Human Services, Social Work or relevant, related field and experience working in a comprehensive family support network or veteran related program.
2. Military background preferred.
* In order to be eligible for H.S. 05 level, you must have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a field related to your position.