Afternoon and Midnights
The primary purpose of this position is to provide routine daily nursing care and services under the direction of the nursing staff in accordance with the resident's service plan.
The Resident Assistant shall be at least 18 years of age and exhibit the capacity to respond to the basic needs of the residents. The Resident Assistant shall have any one of the following qualifications and/or be eligible with appropriate hands-on facility working experience:
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions, follow instructions, and accept constructive criticism.
- Must be able to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies, and the general public.
- Must be able to work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotional upset and potentially hostile people within the facility.
- Must be able to understand the needs of the elderly. Must exercise patience and the sincere willingness to meet those needs according to established policies and procedures, while at the same time honoring residents' rights and preserving individual dignity.
- Must be able to speak, write and understand English in a manner that is sufficient for effective communication with supervisors, employees, residents and families.
- Must have the ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Must be in good mental and physical condition and be willing and able to perform lifting and physical duties as outlined on attached Working Conditions/Physical Demands sheet.
- Must be able to interpret and follow applicable regulations.
- Prior experience in a residential care facility or nursing home preferred.
- Approach to Work: Pleasant personality and demeanor
- ommunication: Delivers and receives timely information clearly, accurately, and effectively.
- Customer Services/Quality Orientation: Identifies, communicates and offers solutions for meeting customer needs.
- Flexibility: Responds to change with a positive attitude and demonstrates a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Reliability/Trust: Keeps commitments and can be counted on to do what is required.
- Respect/Human Dignity: Treats all people with a sense of self worth inherent to a human being.
- Teamwork: Willingly cooperates and works toward solutions which support a common goal.
Use of Resources: Promotes efficient use of resources. Essential Job Functions, Duties and Responsibilities:
Under general supervision assists in administering resident care in accordance with established policies, procedures, and guidelines. Prepares and performs/assists with a variety of simple, sterile and non-sterile procedures including resident examinations, treatments, specimen collection and the like. Following procedures, ensures area is cleaned and ready for use.
- Perform simple procedures as an extension of therapy services under the direction and supervision of the nurse, e.g. range of motion exercises, assistance in ambulation or exercises.
- Performs personal care activities including bathing, grooming, dressing, toileting, skin care/nail care, oral hygiene, shaving, dressing, and others as directed or requested.
- Performs household services essential to health care at home including meal preparation/feeding, laundry, changing/laundering bed linens, light housekeeping and other services as offered.
- Initiates and participates in leisure activities provided for residents. Encourages residents to socialize and participate in planned activities or programs and to develop friendships with other residents.
- May assist in the administration of medications under the direction and supervision of the nurse. May assist only after being invited, and successfully passing the medication pass training class.
- Observes and documents the health and emotional condition of each resident, promptly reporting all changes to the nurse.
- Responds promptly and courteously to resident requests for assistance and emergency pull cords.
- Promotes personal safety and a safe environment for residents by observing infection control practices, following facility guidelines, and reporting unsafe situations to the nurse.
- Assist residents in preparing and transporting for appointments and social programs.
- Assist with moving and transporting residents into and out of beds, chairs, bathtubs, wheelchairs, etc.
- Assist residents to walk with or without self help devices as instructed.
- Check each resident routinely to ensure that his/her personal care needs are being met in accordance with his/her wishes and service plan.
- Participate in the planning of resident care through shift reports and resident staffing meetings and inform verbally and submit in writing any observations and changes in a resident for the nurse to evaluate.
- Assist with post-mortem care as assigned.
- Provide special resident services offered by the facility.
- Attend and participate in in-services as required by federal, state and company requirements.
- Maintain a work environment that is clean and presents a professional image.
- Follow established safety precautions in performance of all duties.
- Use appropriate and safe body mechanic techniques when lifting and/or transferring resident or supplies.
- Attends mandatory staff meetings, in-services, participates in quality improvement activities and other required facility functions.
- Prepares and maintains resident area, utility rooms etc. as assigned. Maintains equipment in good working order and operates equipment in a safe manner as necessary to perform basic duties.
- Greets and responds to residents, visitors, and family members answering routine questions, relaying information and/or directing the question to appropriate department.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, HIPAA policies, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
- Any other duties as assigned by the DON or Nurse Supervisor.