**There are immediate vacancies and all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
There are Michigan families that need your help.**
JOB SUMMARY: The Services Specialist will utilize child welfare practice skills to ensure children are protected from abuse and neglect. When child abuse or neglect is indicated, specialists work closely with families and the legal system toward a goal of reunification, independent living, or other permanent living situation.
View the 13 minute video "Is This Job For Me?" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gtBuckURPk&feature=youtu.be prior to applying for this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assessing allegations of child abuse or neglect and taking necessary steps to protect children. This could mean removing a child from a family.
- Developing working relationships with people who strongly dislike DHHS because of their personal history or the reputation of child protective agencies in general.
- Learning about cultures, traditions, and lifestyles different from your own and developing cultural competencies to understand how to determine child safety and well-being within that context. Comprehending the impact of historical trauma, and observing protocols of differing cultures.
- Maintaining objectivity and empathy for families living in stressful situations.
- Preparing comprehensive and accurate court documents. Testifying in court, including defending your actions which will be questioned by defense attorneys and other parties to the case.
- Working under deadlines that require prioritizing efforts with constant pressure created by the nature and volume of the cases, documentation and working flexible hours.
- This position may be required to work evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours as needed and could be placed on a rotating on-call roster. See complete position description here: Position Description
View the Job Specification Required Education and Experience
Education Possession of a bachelor's or master's degree with a major in one of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, forensic psychology, interdisciplinary studies in social science, education, community development, law enforcement, behavioral science, gerontology, special education, education of the emotionally disturbed, education of the gifted, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, counseling psychology, criminal justice, human services, or in a human services-related counseling major.
Possession of a bachelor's degree in any major with at least 30 semester (45 term) credits in one or a combination of the following human services areas: social work, sociology, psychology, forensic psychology, interdisciplinary studies in social science, education, community development, law enforcement, behavioral science, gerontology, special education, education of the emotionally disturbed, education of the gifted, family ecology, community services, family studies, family and/or child development, counseling psychology, criminal justice, human services, or in a human services-related counseling major.
Experience Services Specialist 9
No specific type or amount is required.
Services Specialist 10
One year of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist 9.
Services Specialist P11
Two years of professional experience providing casework services to socially and economically disadvantaged individuals equivalent to a Services Specialist, including one year equivalent to a Services Specialist 10.
Additional Requirements and Information
This position is located in Hartford Michigan at the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services 57150 County Road 681, Hartford, MI 49057
Why Van Buren County?
- The Van Buren Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) office is located in Hartford, next to the office is the Van Buren County Youth Fairgrounds to which MDHHS employees have free access by courtesy of the Fair Board. Although a rural county Van Buren is along the I-94 corridor with easy access to bigger cities like Kalamazoo with has several community colleges and universities. There is also a vibrant urban downtown in Kalamazoo with a plethora of outdoor, art, entertainment and culturally diverse activities.
- The Van Buren MDHHS is proud of its strong tradition of excellence and strong community engagement. This is a county where teamwork is valued and the extended community network incorporates a true spirit of service.
- Population (2015): 75,077
- Median Household Income (2014): $46,536
- Van Buren boasts beautiful sandy beaches, extensive hiking trails, inland lakes, fresh produce, wineries, and many recreational activities.
- Home to South Haven which offers watercraft rentals including kayaks, boats, canoes, jet skis, and more.
- KOA Campground in South Haven offers a camping experience like none-other with their warm beaches, and beautiful sunsets.
- Many orchards and different types of farms and farmers markets to visit in South Haven such as the Crane Orchards, a U-Pick orchard with over 17 different varieties of apples, 10 varieties of peaches, and sweet cherries.
- Take a cruise on the Cat's Meow sailboat and enjoy Lake Michigan from a new perspective, or enjoy a horse drawn wagon, sleigh, trolley or carriage ride on Bitter-Sweet Acres farmland, or at your own event!
- Take up skiing at Bittersweet Ski Area and Timber Ridge Ski Area, or horseback riding at Apple Ridge Farm.
- Enjoy a hike, bike ride, horseback ride, or a leisurely stroll on Kal-Haven Trail Head, a 34-mile trail from South Haven to Kalamazoo.
- Kids in the Mudd Off Road Park offers a new experience for everyone of all ages!
- Nightlife entertainment includes a few breweries, taverns, wineries, and bar & grills, such as Captain Lou's, Black River Tavern, Barn Brewers Brewery, Admiral Jacks and a few others.
- Bloomingdale Museum and Van Buren County Museum create a fun and educational experience for all ages
- Paw Paw Wine and Harvest Festival, Bangor Harvest Festival, Bloomingdale Oktoberfest, 4th of July celebrations, and more provide year round entertainment.
- Home to 8 golf courses
- To find out if Van Buren County is the right move for you, please visit: http://www.vbco.org/default.asp or http://www.southhaven.org/
PLEASE READ THROUGH THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY
To be considered for this position you must:
- Applyfor this position online via NEOGOV; click on "Apply" in the job posting for instructions on submitting your electronic application. Hard copy applications are not accepted.
- Attach a written response to the following questions after viewing the video "Is this job for me?": (No more than a 1 page response is required.)
- If selected for this position what do you believe your biggest challenge will be?
- How do you see yourself overcoming this challenge?
- Attach a resume identifying specific experience and dates of employment. Dates of employment should include month and year.
- Attach a cover letter.
- Attach a copy of an official transcript(s). We accept scanned copies of OFFICIAL transcripts. Official transcripts provide the name of the