Metron Integrated Health Systems has served the West Michigan community with compassionate, quality healthcare services for over 40 years. Offering sub-acute rehabilitation services and sub-acute care, Metron helps patients resume healthy, happy, and productive lifestyles.
As a Charge Nurse, you are able to make an impact on our patients and residents during one of the most critical times in their lives. Our staff members work collaboratively together with our residents, patients and their family members to provide a caring and supportive atmosphere to allow for recovery and restoration.
You're a good fit if: You are a team player, you bring a smile to work every day, you are committed to excellence, you are comfortable giving and receiving praise, and you hold yourself accountable for providing quality care.
What you'll do: For residents, you'll promote a positive experience by maintaining privacy and meeting medical requirements as determined by their physician, as well as observing and documenting resident care each day. You'll help administer medication, maintain appropriate health records and assist with resident care plans. You'll also work with families and leadership to understand daily care and medication needs.
Your role also will include direct resident care at times, helping residents with all necessary personal care. You'll help as needed with transferring, repositioning and walking using correct and appropriate techniques and equipment.
You're qualified for this position if: You meet all qualifications outlined below.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess resident conditions to implement intervention and develop Care Plans. Accurately record resident observations in PCC and follow through on Care Plans. Assure facility medical records policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Make regular rounds of residents independently and with a physician; observe and evaluate resident symptoms, progress, and reactions to treatments and medications and implements interventions as necessary.
- Provide preventative, supportive, maintenance, and rehabilitative care directed to the physiologic and psychosocial needs and well-being of residents.
- Provide care to residents by performing a variety of treatments, including changing dressing, cleansing and/or irrigating wounds and incisions, performing Foley Catheter irrigations, IV therapy, and administering tube feedings, chest tubes and peritoneal dialysis.
- Request and assure supplies and medical equipment are available to perform care and treatments as required by the resident.
- Schedule appointments, physicians, therapy, and consults. Document in appointment book.
- Monitor and assist CNAs with personal resident care duties such as bathing, feeding and assisting with ambulation, and other routine accommodative services for resident comfort and well-being.
- Receive report from outgoing Charge Nurse and make rounds to see each resident daily and as needed.
- Administer medications to residents according to the Public Health Code, Nursing Department Policies, and standards and procedures and as prescribed by the physician; notify appropriate clinical and/or nursing personnel of medication contraindications.
- Advise residents and/or responsible persons regarding changes in medications, treatment plans, and resident condition.
- Manage and document emergency care of residents, coordinating communications to physicians, responsible persons, DON and Administrator, hospital personnel, emergency transport, and other appropriate personnel.
- Preform comprehensive and focused nursing assessments in conjunction with changes in condition and scheduled programs.
- Admit, transfer, and discharge residents. Requests and assures supplies and equipment are available to perform care and treatment as required by the patient prior to or at the time of admission. Assure completion of weekly, periodic and discharge summaries.
- Perform quality improvement activities as assigned by the Director of Nursing.
- Monitor rate of accident/incidents occurrences and infection rate on the unit and develop suggestions for corrective action.
- Weekly perform skin assessment to monitor occurrence of pressure injuries or other skin conditions, providing the Director of Nursing written data on the number of occurrences.
- Report resident and staff complaint and all unusual occurrences to the Director of Nursing or Administrator and any allegation of Abuse/misappropriation or neglect to the administrator immediately
- Participate in periodic regulatory surveys by the State of Michigan and participates in the preparation of the Plan of Correction response to an inspection survey.
- Complete and report resident injury to Clinical Care Coordinator.
- Fully understands all aspects of residents’ rights, including the right to be free of restraints and free of abuse. Is responsible for promptly reporting to the charge nurse or administrator incidents or evidence of resident abuse or violation of residents’ rights.
- Know and support facility philosophy, standards, policies and procedures
- Communicate with department heads on an as-needed basis to problem solve and plan for more effective patient care.
- Inform Director of Nursing when staffing requirements are not met.
- Present a professional appearance and serve as unit role model
- Maintain own professional requirements for continuing education and staff development by participating in work related seminars, etc.
- Promotes compliance with accident prevention procedures, safety rules, and safe work practices to prevent employee injury and illness and control worker’s compensation costs.
- Ensure equipment is used in a safe manner and report any maintenance concerns to the Environment Plant Manager.
- Adheres to the Nurse Practice Act.
- Attend staff meetings and in-services as requested.
- Perform other tasks as required.
Metron’s Expectations of all Employees
- Adheres to all Metron’s Policies and Procedures.
- Conducts self in a manner that represents Metrons Values at all times.
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with all work-related contacts.
- Consistently reports to work on time, prepared to perform the duties of the position.
- Meets productivity standards and performs duties as workload necessitates.
- Maintains the privacy of all patient information and company proprietary information.
- Treat residents, family members, visitors, and team members with respect and dignity.
- Able to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must maintain an active license or the required certification-if required in ones role.
- Perform CNA retraining, counseling sessions, and implementation of disciplinary actions as necessary.