Position: 0-5 Head Start Transportation Aide_______
Work Weeks: 36-42_________________________
Supervisor: Bus Staff Supervisor________________
Essential Function of Job:
The Transportation Aide rides the Head Start bus as the second adult. Maintain discipline and safety in the vehicle by singing songs with children and using positive discipline methods. The Transportation Aide helps to comfort and educate the children by performing songs, reading books, and leading other school-readiness activities. These activities help to not only educate the children but also create a comforting and safe environment for children and families that help the agency meet its mission of alleviating the local causes of poverty and its effects.
Examples of Work:
(Any one position may not include all the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in the positions of this class.)
- Accompany the Bus Driver on scheduled bus routes, acting as the second adult on the vehicle.
- Sensitive to the individual needs of all children.
- Maintain good rapport with parents/guardians/child care providers.
- Use positive methods of discipline to maintain order in the bus.
- Keep the safety of the vehicle occupants uppermost in mind at all times.
- Report any injury to supervisor.
- Responsible for educational activities of children during bus route.
- Notify Supervisor in advance if unable to work.
- Properly load/unload children according to agency procedure.
- Always act in a professional manner on and off the bus.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Requirements of Work:
- Ability to use positive methods of discipline.
- Satisfactory review of Criminal History Check and DHHS Clearance.
- Absence of exclusionary findings on a comprehensive criminal history check.
- Be able to lift small children approximately 50 pounds if the situation calls for it.
- An initial health examination (that includes screening for tuberculosis) and a periodic re-examination (as recommended by health care provider or as mandated by State or local laws).
- Willing to travel to sites within the Agency’s service area.
- Dependable transportation
Required Minimum Training and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Experience with early childhood programs and food service preferred.
- Successful completion of Blood Borne Pathogens training prior to contact with children, as well as First Aid and Infant/Child CPR Certification within 90 days of hire.
- Completion of 16 clock hours of professional development training, annually.