REMC1 (Regional Educational Media Center 1) is the IT department of the CCISD (Copper Country Intermediate School District), located in Hancock, Michigan. REMC1 provides enterprise level technology services to many agencies across the Western Upper Peninsula.
Job posting summary:
Providing enterprise-level technical support to school districts, government agencies and non-profits in western Upper Peninsula (office in Hancock)
1. Relevant degree preferred. Experience required
2. Experience troubleshooting and supporting Windows & MacOS in a large networked Active Directory environment, both hands-on and remotely. iOS and ChromeOS experience desired.
3. Experience with enterprise IT tools such as scripting, RDP, system management, documentation and ticket systems, and best practice implementation
4. Experience with TCP/IP, Ethernet, and wireless networks in an enterprise network environment
5. Requires excellent customer communications and relations; strong documentation skills; team-oriented personality; natural multi-tasking and time-management abilities; critical thinking and ability to prioritize
6. Experience working with a team LENGTH: Full-time position (12 months per year), with full benefits
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned
• Work with other helpdesk, office engineers, and on-site system engineers to resolve issues in districts while primarily working remotely in the central office, and to maintain district networks and services
• Install, maintain, repair, upgrade and update computers, workstations and other IT equipment hardware and software as directed using best practices, standards, automation and documentation
• Identify problems with and help repair VoIP phones, printers, copiers, scanners, projectors, interactive boards, document cameras and other classroom technology • Install, test and document new software
• Track, prioritize, document, communicate and resolve support requests using the SupportNet helpdesk ticket system
• Work with other SupportNet staff to provide reliable technology services and provide expert technical support to assist other REMC employees
• Help train and teach high turnover part-time helpdesk staff (students)
• Accurately document problems, solutions, processes and procedures using the Supportnet ticket system and knowledge-base/collaboration software
• Keep current on new and emerging technologies, and regularly share knowledge with colleagues
• Clear, concise oral and written communication (phone, email, chat, and ticket)
• Utilize enterprise automation and remote access tools to update and deploy software Expectations The successful staff member will:
• Be ready to assist faculty and staff with IT related problems when called upon, and respond to the needs and questions of network users concerning their access to resources on the network and the operation of various software programs
• Demonstrate leadership and independence
• Remain disciplined in light of many competing priorities and projects
• Perform appropriate issue escalation and follow-up
• Implement and maintain security policies and procedures for the district network to ensure safety of data and IT systems
• Ensure the anti-virus and remote access software is installed, properly configured, regularly updated and working properly on all computers
• Assist in maintaining servers and network hardware, carrying out routine network maintenance tasks such as setting up, maintaining and removing user network accounts where necessary
• Ensure smooth and efficient running of all IT systems in the organization
• Keep district employees informed of the various technological and policy changes that are taking place
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and/or Experience
• Experience supporting users running Windows 10; Mac OS, and mobile OSs such as iOS, Android, and Chrome.
• Familiarity with network infrastructure (switches, routers, 802.11 ac/ax wireless, 802.1x authentication, PoE, VoIP, vlans, SDN, etc.)
• Experience using imaging, scripting, remote access tools, consoles, and other desktop management tools
• Experience troubleshooting technical problems - ability to define problems, research, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; also to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form
• Experience installing software, updating and patching workstations
• Experience with anti-virus and malware software, as well as infection remediation
• Experience providing user support and creating user documentation
• Excellent oral and written communications skills - ability to speak clearly and concisely both in oral and written communication
• Must pass a criminal records check to reveal no felony convictions or enumerated misdemeanors; also, pass a misconduct check from previous employer(s)
• Must have and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license and be able to travel between school buildings, districts and cities as needed Desirable Experience:
• Experience in an educational environment, preferably K-12.
• Bachelor's/advanced degree in computer science, management information systems or a technically related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
• Experience with VoIP technologies and systems • Experience using, deploying and supporting open source software
• Experience with centralized network based printing (server and IP based)
• Experience creating end user documentation, tutorials, handouts, etc.
• Demonstrate good personal habits: mature and responsible judgment, honesty, patience, discretion, friendliness, self-initiative, neat appearance and good hygiene
• Understanding and ability to implement and utilize next generation web technologies
• Professional technology certifications
• Experience using mobile device management tools (MDM)
• Experience networking computers and working in multiple domain AD environments Professional Competencies
• Ability to work both self directed and without supervision, and in groups and teams
• Ability to work on their own initiative • Ability to interact with the district in an advisory role
• Ability to problem solve, grasping the root of the problem of the customers directly or on phone and provide troubleshooting solutions
• Analytical skills to diagnose and repair problems that arise in computers, laptops, servers, networks, etc.
• Customer service orientation and knowledge about service ethics and procedures as well as security and privacy
• Knowledge to operate most office equipment (fax, copier, phone, VoIP phones, etc.)
• Analysis and decision making skills
• Participate fully and freely in the decision making process while recognizing lines of authority and responsibility for implementing all applicable final decisions
Position open until filled.