Position: Registered Nurse Medical-Surgical
Reports To: Director of Nursing
Schedule: Full Time Days
• Weekend Day shift premium of $1.05
• 3rd shift premium of $2.00
• 3rd shift weekend premium of $3.00
Position Location/Department: Medical-Surgical
Job Summary: Med Surg. Services Registered Nurse will report and be accountable to the Nursing Services Manager/ Director of Nursing Services for patient management and oversight of Med Surg. department and will effectively collaborate with Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) and other relevant departments. RN will advocate and support quality improvement, patient safety, and infection control initiatives. RN interacts, assesses and provides treatments and patient education about their medical condition, medications, and discharge instructions; including following-up with primary care providers. M/S RN acts as a liaison with other departments/medical facilities for support of Med Surg. operations. Ensures patient information and rights are protected during patients visit/stay per HIPAA regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Organizational skills with an attention to detail.
• Team builder; willing and able to work shoulder to shoulder with other departments -leading by example.
• Create an environment of trust and mutual respect through interaction with team.
• Monitors and anticipates M/S activities during daily operations, emergency situations, and transfer of care to higher or lower level institutions.
• Practices critical thinking and quickly adjusts to medical conditions of patients arriving to M/S department; maintains high expectations for self and other team members.
• Regularly participates in training and demonstrates proficiencies as required to deliver the expected quality of care.
• Possess and demonstrate exceptional communication and problem-solving skills.
• Effectively delegates CNA duties in order to provide excellent patient care.
• Sets expectations through applying measurable goals and objectives and holds mutual accountability for progress to goals and objectives amongst the team members.
• Able to meaningfully and positively engage physician staff as well as CNAs.
• Capable of applying new standards of care consistent with evidence-based care.
• Develop ways to improve and streamline patient flow and identify process improvement initiatives.
• Understand and apply hospital policy and procedures along with identifying ways to improve policies through experience and observation.
• Part of a team of enthusiastic nurses that strive to achieve and excel at providing the level care and patient (and family) service that will distinguish the function of the department.
• Understands Meaningful Use and is proficient with an electronic health record along with being able to train staff in its use for effective charting and charge capture.
• Able to assist in identifying resources and prioritizing patient’s needs based upon patient needs, acuity, care plans, protocols and cost.
• Assures M/S services are following current standards established by the HFAP, CMS, and other; regulatory agencies. Maintains professional licensure in compliance with State of Michigan requirements.
• Seeks out and participates in professional development programs provided by the organization or through the nurse's own resources. Maintains high level of professional competency and is adaptive to the changing environment of nursing practices.
• Participates on committees as assigned for purposes of developing and implementing standards for quality of Nursing Services.
• Responsible to monitor use of supplies and services to maximize department’s available resources based on budget planning. Ensures daily charges are captured and reported for hospital revenue.
• Supports good staff coverage and adjusts quickly to short notice staffing deficiencies. Willing to adjust work scheduling to meet organization needs and to ensure safe patient care staffing.
• Addresses patient concerns per patient care policies, protocol and procedures.
• Participates in annual personnel evaluations and ensures annual competencies are completed within established timelines.
• Responsible for preparing occurrence reports in accordance with Risk Management protocol and policies whether they be patient, family, or visitor.
• Continually monitors patient satisfaction and investigates ways to improve the level of satisfaction.
• Demonstrates the ability to use all channels and proper methods of communication to address concerns, problems, and conflicts with other peers and departments.
• Respects the chain-of¬ command.
• Punctuality is a critical part of this position. Performs other duties, as directed by leadership including assisting other departments.
• Checking hospital email at least once per workday as this is a primary source of communication.
• Will provide great customer service and maintain a positive attitude.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.